CHAPTER 11

Today was the twenty seventh. Cassidy couldn't help the anxiety that was coursing through her. Today something terrible could happen; another family could be killed. Maybe taking the day off was the best thing to do.

She grabbed her phone ready to message Lisa asking for the day off, but saw Lisa had already messaged her. It was dated last night. Cassidy couldn't remember much from yesterday. She had gotten home, taken a shower and then just slept. She didn't want to be awake. If she was, there was nothing stopping the thoughts that were bouncing around in her head and she didn't want to deal with that.

"I have to head out of town for a bit. I made some pastries before I left. I'm sure you can handle the rest. See you when I get back – Lisa."

Guess skipping work was not on the agenda today. Her clock read five am. She had enough time to get to the bakery and start working on some morning pastries. Her usual schedule was four to two. The bakery opened at six, sometimes a little after. Lisa was usually in charge of most of the pastries while Cassidy did the cakes and any orders they had.

She got out of bed and quickly got ready. The bakery was only ten minutes away from her apartment. Surprisingly, there were a number of people out at this hour. Usually there were the men in business suits, or workers who looked like they were coming off the night shift. It was always a tired crowd. And today Cassidy felt like one of them.

Maybe Starbucks would help her get some energy. She ordered a mocha frap and took her first sip as she walked out. Starbucks coffee was honestly the best.

A minute away from the bakery, someone bumped into her.

"Oh sorry," she said but the person kept walking. She turned back to see them run off. Their face wasn't visible due to the hood they were wearing. How rude! They just bumped into her and ran off.

A stinging in her hand made her look down. There was a slice on the top of her hand about two inches long. Blood was seeping out of the wound. When had she been cut? Had the hoodie person cut her?

Cassidy rushed to the bakery, using a napkin to wipe the blood. It wasn't a bad cut, but it sure hurt as hell. The kept a first aid kit in the bakery because of all the equipment they used. It was unlike Lisa or herself to cut themselves while baking, but they still had the kit. She applied some ointment on the wound and then wrapped it in some gauze. It wasn't a deep wound.

The pain and the cut were quickly forgotten as the bakery's morning crowd starting coming in. Cassidy didn't think she got a proper break till around eleven. There were people in the bakery constantly all morning. The bakery wasn't empty at the moment, there were a few women enjoying some pastries at a table, but it gave Cassidy a moment to catch her breath.

"How's your son doing in football?" she heard one of the women asked.

She knew the women. They came in once a week, had some pastries and coffee and talked about all the latest gossip in their lives. The volume they spoke at was usually loud enough for Cassidy to hear everything that was said. It wasn't eavesdropping if they were talking loudly. And the things she had heard these women talk about made her eyebrows raise constantly. From their children, to who had mistresses, sometimes even who they thought would be best to have an affair with.

"He's terrible. Dan is thinking about paying the football coach just to get him on the team."

"But the kid's only thirteen. There's still time for him to get better."

Cassidy tuned them out as she went about restocking the shelves. All the morning pastries had sold out, which was to be expected. Sweet Treats had a loyal clientele and they were quite popular.