CHAPTER 39

"You can enter."

Cassidy's legs froze beneath her. Was she ready for this? The hours of therapy and the conversation with her parents the night before made her think she was, but what if she wasn't?

"You can do this," she whispered to herself.

She was strong. She had been to hell and back. This much she could handle.

The room was cold, and the metal chair beneath her did nothing to warm her up. Her legs bounced nervously as she waited.

The door creaked open and in walked the one person she never thought she would see again.

"Took you long enough to come," Rose said smiling.

Cassidy didn't answer, not sure what to say. She hadn't known what Rose's reception would be like.

Rose sat opposite her; her hands bound in cuffs. The guard left, leaving both sisters alone in the room. It reminded Cassidy of that night and being in the interrogation room with Rose.

"I expected you much sooner," Rose said, breaking the ice.

"I've been away," Cassidy answered, still unsure what to say.

"Where did you go?"

"To my aunt's house. We needed some time to rest."

"How are Martha and Leon? I heard they both survived," Rose grimaced.

Cassidy's arm started tapping her leg, adding to the bounce. She couldn't stop herself from being nervous and anxious. She didn't want to be here, but some part of her wasn't at peace. She needed to see Rose. Why she didn't know, but maybe after this visit she would feel much better.

"Why did you ask for me?" Cassidy asked, avoiding the topic of her parents.

"I've been asking for you for months. You never came."

"You didn't really expect me to come and see you, did you?" Cassidy asked incredulous.

"Why not? You said you've been searching me for years. You finally know where I am, and you wouldn't even visit?"

"You're in jail," Cassidy reminded her. "After trying to kill me and my family."

Rose smiled.

"That's old news now."

"It really isn't."

"Then why come now?" Rose asked angrily.

"Your trial starts tomorrow," Cassidy answered.

After six months, they were finally starting Rose's trial. There was no doubt she was guilty; they even had her confession. From what Cassidy understood, they were charging her with over thirty murders. There was no way she was ever going to be leaving this prison.

It was an open and shut case, but the families needed justice. The families that had lost their loved ones deserved to see Rose stand before a judge and issued the justice they craved.

"There's been quite a storm on the news," Rose said smiling.

"Everyone is interested in you," Cassidy agreed.

Every newspaper and television had Rose's face plastered all over them in the last few days.

After the events of six months ago, Rose had been everyone's main topic. Everyone was dissecting why she was killing these people, what her past had to do with it and whether her sister would turn out the same way.

Cassidy hadn't been spared in their search for gossip. Thankfully no reporters were able to figure out exactly where they had disappeared to, but they all had to change their phones due to the constant ringing.