(29) Know What Others Want

Owen || Cassidy

Good morning, Owen.

Good morning, Cassidy. By the way, this is how I like to start my day.

What do you mean?

I like saying good morning to you, Cassidy. I did not like jumping right into the conversation. I want to see how you are doing.

I understand. I'm sorry about doing that. I just wanted to get ahead of the game because I knew we didn't have a lot of time and so much to talk about. I am doing good, I think it was a good idea to talk about that yesterday. It was a relief.

I know that, Cassidy. That's why I went with it. Speaking about that, how was work yesterday?

Work was fine, had a lot to do so I wasn't able to talk to my coworkers much. But that was okay, I was able to get my mind off of things. So you want to talk about a rumor today, talk about ourselves, or talk about random things today?

How about we just talk about anything and everything?

Sure, that works for me. How do you want to talk?

What are you saying? That's confusing.

Yesterday you said something about not wanting to say big and personal things over text. So I was thinking, how do you feel about talking on the phone?

I mean we don't have to start saying "personal things" right away, just like start off small? What do you think? I really want to hear your voice, especially since you know who I am.

Owen, why aren't you replying?

Sorry, I was just shocked. I haven't thought about that before. But I think that would be a good idea. I also would love to hear your voice again.

I understand that. I really didn't think I would want to offer that as much as I do. Sorry, that sounds confusing. I cannot really put it in words.

I think I understand what you mean. So would you like to talk on the phone now?

No, not really. Not at this moment at least.

Oh?

Don't get me wrong, you know how much I want to hear your voice again. Heck, I am the one who suggested it. But it is such a big thing.

How so?

Well, yesterday we talked mostly about all of my flaws, so that part of me is fresh in your mind. And I don't want you to view me as that kind of person. I want you to know me as the actual me.

Cassidy, you don't have to ever worry about that. I know the real you.

How?

You care about other people more than you care about yourself. You are completely selfless. You put other people's concerns over yours. You have your own mind and you stand up for it. You listen to other people, but you do your own thing. You don't let others get in the way of what you want to do.

I don't know, Owen. Those are all great things and great words, but I am not sure they really describe me.

Cassidy, do you know how I know those words are true?

How?

We had an entire conversation yesterday, even after I said I didn't want to. That shows that you won't back down. Because of that, you are strong and determined.