(10) Count to Ten and Relax

Scene Two

Cassidy sighed as she tossed her phone on her bed. She wished this guy would just stop talking to her. For the life of her, she can't understand why he can't get this through his thick head.

Honestly, the first few days were fine. But then it seemed like since he got the box of all his favorite stuff, he was higher up in the world than anyone else. If she knew he would act this way, then maybe she wouldn't have pushed so hard know who it was from.

She was just curious if he found out. Sure, it really wasn't any of her business, that he knows of. But this is the first time someone had really taken an interest in her. Well, more specifically someone that her mom didn't set up.

For some reason, her mom decided she didn't have enough friends - tectonically she doesn't have any - so she has been setting Cassidy up with friends. Like she somehow has a reason to know everything about Cassidy.

So far, in just the last week, Cassidy had met ten 'new' people. They all have been people she had known in school. Apparently her mother did not understand that when Cassidy stopped talking to people after graduation, it was on purpose.

But her mom was the 'queen bee' of the school. Pretty much the most popular girl in school. Her legacy has to grow some how. Her mother's words of course.

Cassidy is the only girl in the family, besides her mom. So she is the only option to make that happen. She does have a older brother, he did not want to be popular either and stayed away from everybody. However, he had moved across the country in an attempt to follow his dream of being a deejay.

Not that anything is wrong about that. It's just that deejaying is not a conventional job. According to her parents and they have decided to remind Cassidy of that almost everyday.

Its was a poor attempt to make Cassidy want to go to the same college her parents went to and met and take over the family business. Another attempt on her being a legacy. Instead of letting Cassidy to pursue her dream; being a journalist.

Though she is not going to let them stop her.

That is exactly what she did a few days ago. Her job interview was with the one of the cities newspaper companies. Sure it wasn't a big shot company where a bunch of people would read it, but it was a good start.

Any good journalist all started from a crappy job.

But Cassidy knew better than to listen to her mother, on this matter. Because her mother had always said 'follow your dreams and don't let anyone tell you different.' Right now her mother was just panicking that nobody, in direct bloodline, was going to take over the business after they retire.

With a roll of her eyes, she came back to the present when her phone went off again.

It was from Mystery Guy - no surprise there. She figured it was about time to change his name. That was something Cassidy did often. The only downfall was that she didn't always know who was who in her contact list.

A quick change to make it Turd Blossom. She finally opened the message to see what it said -

I'm still so sorry, Sweetheart.

He's still apologizing. No matter what she says. The fact he added 'still' really bothers her.

Knowing he needs a reply, she sent -

Whatever.

Now, she knows that was rude. Okay, actually really rude. He was attempting to apologize for around the fifth time and they were all very sincere. And it was very obvious she did not accept, she kept saying that. There were a few ways she could make this a little better.

Cassidy sighed and took a deep breath, trying to get herself to relax. Nope that wasn't working. So she decided to think like Mystery Guy, what would he do? After thinking for a while, she came up with one answer, count to ten.

You know what? I'm also sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out like that. I know you are trying to apologize, and I can tell you mean it. Therefore, I will accept your apology and you can stop apologizing. But don't get me wrong, I am still mad about that comment. It really hurt my feelings. However, I will be willing to give you that second chance. Prove that you can do that.

Dang, that was a lot of 'apology'.

There. Now that she said that there wasn't much to worry about anymore.

That was a complete lie. He left her on read and hasn't responded. By now it had been twenty minutes since she sent the message.

Not that she was counting or anything. Because who would do that. Besides, her phone does that itself.

But Cassidy was counting. She could not lie, at least not for a very long time. Or even to herself.

Just when Cassidy was starting to give up, her phone finally dinged. Excitement ran through her body as she reached for her phone.

She felt disappointment before she remembered she changed his contact name.

It's okay. I understand why you did that. And thank you for that message, I will try my best to not make you regret this second chance, Sweetheart.

A smile on her face, she replied, hardly containing herself.

Thank you. Though I am sure you will already.

Her fingers moved before she noticed what she was doing. When she finally caught up, she saw his contact name changed again.

His new name made her smile even more.

Mr. Forgiven