|Chapter Thirteen| Rosebay

[Rosebay]: Beware, danger!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

| Chapter Thirteen |

Mia 8, Connor 10

He could always tell whenever she was sad.

He could feel it in her touch, moves, smile, and, most of all, her eyes.

She wasn't an open book, ready to spill her secrets, not at all. She was mostly a mystery to him with her mischievous smiles, playfulness, jokes, and hyperactive nature.

He could never, for the love of God, understand how she could always... smile.

But he could always tell her sadness because whenever she was sad the eternal fire in her eyes would...die.

The first time he noticed it, was when they buried her dog, Nutcracker.

They found Cracker when he was still a tiny puppy. Connor was in the treehouse with her when it had started raining and they decided to go back to her place and ask Sophie for some hot chocolate. They heard a noise on their way, almost a cry for help, and when they walked toward the sound, they found him in the bushes- bleeding and all alone.

They decided to take him in, right there and then, and after gently gathering Cracker in his arms, they rushed to her house.

They both knew Connor wouldn't be able to take him home with him because his father would hate finding a tiny white hair on the carpet, or not being able to finish an important call because of a puppy barking in the background. He'd get rid of it in a second, because according to him, anything that wasn't homework, was bad for Connor.

So the only option was to try and convince Sophie to let them keep him at her place.

And of course, she agreed because Sophie was the best and coolest adult Connor had ever seen in his entire life. The only adult he didn't hate, in fact.

They played with Cracker all the time, sneaked him the best snacks, and let him tear their shoes apart for fun.

However,  shortly after, they found out that he had cancer.

Almost 8 months after they found Cracker, he passed away, and that's when Connor first saw his Little Monster's eyes die out like a candle.

After the small funeral, they walked silently to his house and then his room. She didn't want to go home and see Cracker's toys all around the room, the cute sweater they got for him together, and anything that would remind her of him.

Connor always admired how deeply his Litlle Monster felt about everything. If she loved something or someone, she loved them with her whole existence and when she hated it, her whole body and soul would reject it.