Chapter 1

Don't mistake a shadow for a soul.

"...he rides up in this tricked out Eclipse, a spoiler, double exhaust, the works and—Jisoo, you listening?"

Jisoo drowsily opened her eyes and brought her feet down from the desk. "Yea, yea. Eclipse, New Moon, Twilight."

"No stupid, I'm not talking about Twilight." Jinyoung noticed Jisoo was acting a little slow, in terms of comprehension and physical activity.

"What time did you get home?"

"Early."

It wasn't a lie.

"Early as in early in the morning, right? Did Suho give you another set last night?"

Jisoo grabbed a few work orders and flipped through them. Business was slow, not many people went to a mechanic on Sunday but the inactivity was a good time to catch up on anything she missed during the week. However, she also had homework to finish so the quicker she'd get done, the better.

"It was a quick one since his regular cancelled on him."

"Wow, either he wants to sleep with you or he likes the way you DJ."

"Let's hope it's the latter," Jisoo mumbled, walking over to the desk to look through the catalog for a certain part.

"Speak of the devil," Jinyoung said.

Behind the cluttered window of the shop that overlooked the office they saw Suho. Jisoo rushed to the office, almost knocking over the chair in her hurry.

"Hi Suho. Something wrong with your car?"

Suho slid off his sunglasses and opened his jacket, taking out some papers from the inside pocket. Jisoo feared what he wanted; his seriousness always made her wary of his presence.

"I stopped by because the Golden Fox has its opening next week and to show my gratitude for last night, here are some passes. Who knows, maybe you'll land another gig."

"This is too much, Suho. I can't accept this."

Jisoo wouldn't even know what to wear to a club opening.

"You earned it."

He didn't let Jisoo say anything else and threw the tickets at her. "Thanks!" she called out as Suho left, clumsily grasping the tickets.

"What'd you get?" Jinyoung peered over her shoulder. He didn't like Suho and stayed far from him so he had watched the scene between him and Jisoo through the window.

"Damn!" he swiped the passes out of Jisoo's hands.

"The Golden Fox. I heard a bunch of actors are going to be there."

"That's nice."

Jisoo was already back in the garage, her eyes glued to the binder.

"You cannot pass this up, Soo. I know you hate that scene but for people like us to get chances like this comes around once in a lifetime."

Jinyoung was being dramatic, they both knew it, and Jisoo was not falling for it. "You just want me to go so that I'll take you with me."

That was true but Jinyoung still smiled in that way whenever he needed to win someone over. She couldn't understand why girls weren't chasing after him; he certainly had some charm.

"I'll think about it."

Before Jisoo could finish the sentence Jinyoung was already jumping up and down with excitement.

Maybe that was why he was single.

*

Lunch was Jennie's most hated period. During it she was crowded from every angle and escape was impossible if she wanted to keep her status at the school. But being there didn't mean she had to pay attention so on most days her imagination kept her head in the clouds, far, far away from the nonsense her friends spewed.