Chapter 5

Shells of ourselves.

Fire drills were probably the best way to get out of class and not get in trouble. Jennie liked to take the time to rest and usually did that far from where they would gather outside the school, like in the gym (if there really was a fire then Jennie would have been screwed but she'd take the chance), but they had a substitute teacher for her math class with the eyes of a hawk and Jennie was forced to stick with the class.

"Do you think anyone is going to follow any of these rules if there was a real fire?" Jennie saw her reflection in Jinyoung's sunglasses as he stood next to her.

"I don't think so."

He pulled out his mp3 player from his pocket and unwound the earphones.

"Yea, me neither." He offered an earphone to Jennie. "Want to listen to some music?" Jennie had nothing better to do.

They sat on the brick wall and listened while they waited until it was "safe" to go back in.

"So how've you been?" he asked, guardedly, like the topic was off limits. It was amazing how easily people broke ties and became strangers.

"Good. You?"

"Pretty good."

She and Jinyoung never really clicked like she and Jisoo did. Jinyoung was once jealous of their close relationship but got over it very quickly.

They continued to listen to the music in silence. It was something similar to the stuff Jennie heard in the clubs but much softer. There was still that techno vibe to it but it didn't trash Jennie's eardrums and she could fall asleep to it.

"Who's this song by?"

Jinyoung smiled like he knew something that Jennie didn't.

"This cool DJ. She's DJing tomorrow, you should stop by and check it out. If you like this then what she does live is going to blow your mind."

Jennie was supposed to go the Golden Fox again tomorrow (Nayeon apparently slept with one of the bouncers and now they could get in whenever they wanted; so much for exclusivity) but she could probably ditch them without too much interrogation.

"Okay. Which club?"

One of the teachers spoke over a speakerphone that everyone could resume their classes. Jennie gave back her earphone to Jinyoung and they stood.

"Era200. You know where that is?"

"Not really, but I'll look it up."

"Cool. I hope I'll see you there."

*

At home Jennie found her mother's car gone but Hanbin's slick little convertible in its place.

"Wow, did your mom and dad get a new car?" Jisoo asked.

"No, that's actually Hanbin's."

"Oh. He has good taste in cars."

Jennie wasn't sure why but talking about Hanbin was like listening to nails on chalkboard.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

Jennie nodded and watched as Jisoo drove off. The helmet was heavy in her hand and as she stepped through the front door she knew she would have to repay Jisoo somehow. A normal person would have never given a single glance at Jennie after what she had done but she had underestimated Jisoo once again.

"How was school?"

Hanbin was sitting on the couch when she walked in. She gave him a kiss before answering.