Chapter 20

Young love at its best.

Jisoo paced anxiously in front of her home insurance company. It would open in less than five minutes but she'd been up since dawn with barely any sleep the night before. All she could think about was moving back into her home. Living with Jennie had been bliss, especially the past week or so but she couldn't wait to be in much more familiar surroundings.

Inside the offices, a woman came to the front and unlocked the door.

"It's not very often we get customers the second we open," the woman remarked, holding the door for Jisoo who walked inside like she was a kid walking into a toy store.

"I have all the papers for my house signed and notarized. I'm here to pick up my keys." Jisoo held the papers out and the woman smiled at Jisoo's excitement.

"This way."

While the woman checked the papers Jisoo had brought in, the heel of Jisoo's foot bounced against the floor. She wouldn't interrupt the woman, but she needed those keys, now.

"We apologize for the trouble," the woman spoke up and put the papers back into the large envelope. She walked to a cabinet and opened it with a key from her jangling key ring.

"With the economy in such horrible shape, everyone is looking for a way to make a little more money."

The woman presented a small white envelope and Jisoo almost jumped at the sight.

"We will be coming by the house to remove our locks and pick up these keys sometime this week. Once again, we apologize."

Jisoo nodded absentmindedly, her eyes on the keys. She took them for the lady and thanked her politely (though she wished she could curse her instead) and almost tripped over her own feet while exiting the office.

*

The first thing Jisoo did was open all the windows to get some fresh air into the stuffy house. Then she went to her room, smiling like an idiot because no one could tell her it didn't belong to her anymore.

She fell onto the bed, breathing in the detergent she always used. It was good to be home and she didn't want to bask in the happiness alone. She dialed the number of the first person who entered her mind.

"Guess where I am?" Jisoo asked the caller, her smile threatening to split her face in half.

*

Jennie looked through Jisoo's temporary birthday gift once more before getting out of her car and walking to the house. She would have joined Jisoo to pick up her keys but Jennie had woken up to find the girl nowhere in sight and not answering her phone. She had to go to school anyway but now that it was over she could celebrate with Jisoo.

Jisoo opened the door after Jennie had rung the doorbell.

"Jennie! I'm so glad you're here." Jisoo squeezed Jennie in a hug. It was then Jennie realized Jisoo was home, her true home, and wasn't going to be just across the pool like she had been for the past month. The occasion was a bittersweet one for Jennie. "Come in, we were just about to have champagne."

Jennie put the present on the dining table, though her mind was stuck on the 'we' part Jisoo had said. One step into the kitchen and she saw who 'we' was.

"Champagne, Jennie?" Rosé asked, raising the bottle.

It was Jisoo's birthday so Jennie disregarded the urge to scratch the grin off Rosé's face. "Sure," she responded, disguising her bitterness well.

Jennie stayed polite and kept a smile on her face the entire time Rosé was there. Rosé stayed for a small glass of champagne but she knew Jennie wasn't welcoming her presence. She told them she had an exam that evening, which was true, and left though Jennie was the real reason for leaving.