Chapter 21

Start new without ditching the old.

Jisoo stood outside Suho's open office, wondering whether she should go in. The club wouldn't be opened for another hour so it was empty save for her and a few other employees. She saw Chanyeol from across the room and he joined her by the door.

"Did he call you over too?"

Chanyeol nodded and lifted his hand. "After you."

She rolled her eyes, knowing behind the gentlemanly act, he was probably staring at her ass as she walked in.

They stood awkwardly by Suho's desk as he finished a phone call. He gestured for them to sit.

"As you know, I'm closing Era for a week starting on Monday. Not many go clubbing during winter and after going it over with my accountant, it's actually better for me financially to completely close it down than waste money for a few stragglers. Since I want neither of you jobless for a week, I spoke with a friend of mine and he's agreed to see how you work tonight. If he likes what he sees, he'll take you off my hands while I'm gone."

The phone started ringing and whatever questions Chanyeol and Jisoo had were dismissed with a wave of his hand. Chanyeol closed the door, his eyes traveling down Jisoo's body.

"Do you think it's another club?"

"Probably," she said, turning around to face him. He averted his gaze elsewhere but she had seen where he was staring.

She gave him a slap on the forehead. "Stop ogling me!"

"Think of it as a compliment! You seriously have one of the finest, pert as—"

She raised her hand to smack him again but he caught her wrist before she could make the hit. He stepped closer while she was dazed.

"If you want to touch me, then just ask," he breathed and it sent all kinds of wrong shivers through her body.

"Can I touch you with a baseball bat?" He grinned and released her arm.

Chanyeol always saw their tension as sexual. He didn't want Jisoo to like him or love him, he just wanted her to admit how amazing their sex could be if she just gave it a try.

As she left, his smug shout could be heard throughout the club.

"One day you're going to realize we're meant to be, Jisoo!"

*

The notes on her page were blending together. Jennie couldn't tell the Romans from the Gauls and all the dates she memorized weren't attached to any events. It wouldn't have been so worrisome if the test only reflected her performance but now that it affected Jisoo too, there was an added pressure upon her.

"Is that a textbook? Are those notes? Are you studying?"

Irene gaped at Jennie's huddled body and the frenzied tapping of her pen.

"I'm capable of studying, Irene. Where's Jinyoung?"

Lately, Irene and Jinyoung had become a two for one deal—if you wanted to see one of them, you automatically got the other.

"Making up a quiz. Jisoo?"

Jennie and Jisoo weren't so different.

"She's at Era, working out her schedule for winter break."

Irene took out a salad from her lunch and gave Jennie her baby carrots since it seemed like the girl hadn't eaten anything.

"I can't wait until I'm a senior. The only time I'll come to class is for tests."