Chapter 15

Notice someone like me.

Jennie spun the combination for her locker absentmindedly but when she pulled at it, it didn't open. She reset the lock and began spinning it again for the third time. The hallways were empty, first period had already started but she was late and she didn't really care so she was taking her time.

Just as she was nearing the last number a rapid set of snapping sounds destroyed her focus. She looked toward the direction of the noise (it belonged to heels) and her hand became motionless. The snapping sound stopped and Jennie stared at the girl in the middle of the hallway.

Rosé smiled, a quick flash of blinding white and Jennie couldn't stop staring as Rosé moved closer. It was hypnotizing.

"I don't think we've ever met properly. I'm Rosé."

Her hand was like touching fresh dough—warm and soft. Jennie was embarrassed because she was sure her own skin was cold and dry.

Jennie introduced herself but she had none of that natural confidence she'd always been able to conjure. Rosé was Jennie's personal Kryptonite.

"Mind if I try?" Rosé eyed the lock Jennie had forgotten about.

Jennie was going to decline but Rosé was holding the lock within seconds and Jennie wasn't about to tell the girl to beat it (despite how much she wanted to).

"The combination is 13-33-2."

Rosé infuriated Jennie further when she spun the lock gracefully like she was doing some commercial for it.

"There you go."

Rosé unhooked the lock and swung the locker open. Both of their eyes went to the flower neatly taped to the inside of the door. Jennie felt like she won some invisible battle between them.

"I'm guessing that's from Jisoo? She's quite the romantic."

Jennie peeled the tape off the stem and wondered if Jisoo had ever given flowers to Rosé or done anything like this for her.

Regaining her confidence, Jennie exchanged some of her books and ordered brashly. "Did you need something? Because I have class."

"The library, can you show me where it is?"

"Upstairs."

Jennie closed the locker and clasped the lock on the door.

"It's my first time here. Could you show me where it is?"

Rosé's voice was sweet, but not overtly; it wasn't forced, it was effortless, and Jennie wanted to hate her for it.

"Excuse me, do you two have a hall pass?"

Rosé hooked an arm through Jennie's and smiled at the staff member. "I'm sorry, I'm new here and she was just helping me get to my class."

There was a distinct accent in Rosé's words that was surprisingly believable. The guard's face changed into something more sympathetic but he tried to cover it with a stern voice.

"Alright, well, get to class. There's no loitering in the halls at this school."

"Of course," Rosé said and started walking with Jennie.

Once they rounded a corner and got to the stairs Rosé let go of Jennie's arm.

"God, it's like taking candy from a baby with those morons," Rosé jeered as they made their way up the stairs. "But I bet you know all about that, right?"

Jennie's eyes narrowed at the comment. She didn't like what it implied.

Rosé walked in front of Jennie and after a few minutes Jennie realized that Rosé had been lying because she knew very well where to go to get to the library. Jennie did not like being made for a fool. Rosé sat down in one of the tables once they were inside. Jennie planted a hand on the table and lowered herself to meet Rosé's gaze.