Chapter 3

Gentle light that strays and vanishes and returns.

Jennie pulled the covers over her head to keep the invading sun away.

A faint giggling kept her awake and once she heard her target was close enough she threw back the covers and roared. Ella screamed and Jennie lifted her onto the bed before she could run.

"I'm very hungry!" Jennie yelled out, tickling Ella mercilessly. "Is this little monster hungry too?"

"Yes!"

"What is the little monster hungry for?" Ella thought for a moment. "Pancakes!"

"Then let's go and make some pancakes."

Ella jumped on Jennie's back and they ran to the living room to find Hanbin sprawled out on the couch.

"Go to the kitchen and get out what you think we need for pancakes," Jennie told Ella and set her down.

Jennie sat on the edge of the couch, her hip touching Hanbin's. She didn't want to wake him; the boy was beautiful, especially in his sleep, but he would be much more comfortable on a bed.

After shaking his shoulder a bit he opened his eyes and once his vision cleared he smiled, covering her hand with his.

"Morning."

"You don't have to wake up, you can go and sleep on my bed if you want."

"No, no," he sat up and rubbed his face, revealing another bright smile like he magically rubbed the sleep away. His puffy eyes said otherwise. "I'm up."

"Unnie, I'm ready!" Ella shouted from the kitchen.

"Fine, if you're up then go and help Ella make pancakes while I put the covers back."

Hanbin stretched his arms over his head and went to the kitchen. Jennie began folding the blankets, still warm from Hanbin's body. From the kitchen she heard him and Ella squabble.

"Ella, no one adds mayonnaise to pancakes, trust me!"

*

If it wasn't for the whirr of the drill Jisoo would have fallen asleep hours ago. The chair in the garage was molded to her half sitting, half laying form and usually she had no trouble with sleeping with all the banging and drilling but it just wasn't working out for her that day.

"Rise and shine!"

Jinyoung cleaned some stuff off the desk, including Jisoo's feet and sat on the edge of the desk.

Jisoo yawned, barely covering her gaping mouth, and refocused her tired eyes on Jinyoung's bright ones. He was a morning person and Jisoo never went to sleep on time to be one as well.

"What do you want?"

"My dad doesn't pay you to take naps."

"Your dad doesn't pay you at all but you still come here almost every day." Jinyoung contemplated that; Jisoo had a point.

"I just wanted to see my favorite cousin and talk about the Golden Fox. It was awesome, wasn't it?"

Jisoo wouldn't have called it awesome. The words she could have described it as were more akin to antonyms of awesome.

"Yea, awesome," Jisoo deadpanned.

Their conversation reminded her of something she had forgotten to check before coming to work. She took out her list and scribbled quickly before stuffing the paper back into her pocket.