Log#16

April 14, 2021

(Not his actual house by the way!)

Hey folks, this is my last day of my investigation, I'm currently in my van waiting for the sun to disappear to make way for the moon. I was hoping that I wouldn't find anything and finish up, so I can figure out the mysterious incident. However, on my last day, I did find something that proves that there is something insidious lurking in the woods of the town.

I didn't write anything in my previous investigations due to not learning much. I even went to the library and studied the town's history as well as its myths. So far the only myth that explains in great detail is the 'Woodcraft Witch'.

However I discarded the myth, despite living in a world where there are many myths that are real, witches aren't real. Our monster research professor told us that no one in our database has ever encountered a witch or anything similar. Of course that type of myth may escape from the government's eyes.

After all, we did discover a new cryptid 9 years back. But the existence of a witch in this world is still highly unlikely, but why am I telling you a myth that has little chance of being real? Well let me get to that later.

Earlier today, I asked the old folks of the town about the disappearances under the guise of a detective. I even wore the coat and got the fake badge and everything. I did it to not arouse any suspicion.

During my talk with one of the eldery in the town I noticed in the distance, there was a house in a hull. Surrounded by trees, branches and other things that made it difficult to spot especially when you aren't paying attention. It is as if no one has entered close or even bothered to cut off the thin trees to allow people to get in the house more easily.

The house doesn't look abandoned, you can't tell with your normal eyes especially how far I was from the house, especially since most of your vision will be covered in branches and wood. I pointed the house to the one I was talking to: an old lady that looked like in her late 60's. She was kind enough, I guess.

However when I pointed at the house and asked who lives there, she grew pale.

"Oh my boy...it's best you stay clear of that house." She says.

I raised a brow at her sudden change of tone.

"Why? Did something happen to the person living in that house?"

She shook her head and she stared at the house with an expression of fear and anger.

"That man...the person who lives there is Joel Johnson."

(In respect of his privacy some of his names are changed. He told me he always wanted to name his Joel, but couldn't due to...well you'll see in the story.)

It took me a few moments before I recognized the name Joel Johnson, if you remember previously I looked through files of every member of the committee and one of them that got my interest was Joel Johnson. Joel Johnson was one of the eldest in the community, he was 52 or 57 if I remember his age correctly. Joel Johnson's early life was average so I won't say as much.

However in his young adult years things started to fall apart. Back in 1986, he had a fiancé and her name was Rose Lovetrue. Residents at that time said that they were a great couple and were never seen arguing.

After all they knew each other during their days as children since the Johnson family was friends with the Lovetrue family. One day they decided to take a small walk in the woods. It was only for a small walk, however they were never seen back home.

There was a huge party where they tried to find the couple in the woods. They search for several weeks. They were about to give up, but they managed to find Joel.