chapter 3

Six months later

I took a deep breath as I knocked on the fancy door. Finally, after months of effort, I was able to attain my certificate and find students to teach as a governess. After James was arrested, survival became difficult. He was held as a prisoner in a nearby jail. His trial had barely lasted two days before he was sentenced to hard labor. The bail was set so high that it was impossible to pay off. The best chance of getting him out was to hire a decent solicitor, but they also charged so many fees that it would take months to gather that amount of money.

So I had gathered any hope I had and worked hard. In the morning I would deliver baked goods that mother would make to nearby houses, and in the evening I would read books and articles to gain knowledge that will help me to eventually apply as a governess. I had barely slept in the past six months and gotten thinner because of the hectic routine. My eyes became hollow, and a girl who might be called pretty before became a shell.

My sister fared better. I had emphasized that she didn't need to work and should focus on her education instead, and become someone. Someone that wouldn't be defenseless and wouldn't be left to someone's mercy as I had. Times were changing and women were getting more higher education.

I grabbed the handbag filled with books tighter in my hands. Unfortunately, when poverty was the norm, many people weren't looking for governesses. After a month of searching and looking for advertisements in newspapers, I had finally landed a job teaching two young girls. Today was finally the first day.

I took a deep breath and knocked again. I finally heard shuffling inside and then the door was yanked open. A girl with the prettiest face and big blue eyes stared at up me and smiled.

"Are you our new governess!" She said excitedly and
I nodded.

I just stood at the door, not sure if I should proceed inside without being invited. After several moments had passed, an older woman came and glared at the girl.

"Mary! You aren't supposed to open doors! come on now, go inside." Mary pouted and hopped inside.

I smiled as I watched her go. The older woman looked at me and said,

"Sorry for that, are you Miss Simpson?" I nodded.

"Do come inside, Mrs. Harvey is waiting for you."

"Thank you," I said and followed her inside.

The house was beautiful and filled with fancy chandeliers and beautiful wooden floors, my old shoes and clothes looked out of place in contrast. The old woman led me up the stairs to a sitting room.

"Mrs. Harvey will come to meet you in a second. Do sit down."

I sat down on the fancy chair, not sure how to proceed, I stared at my hands.

"I am Edith by the way."

The old woman said, I smiled and replied,

"Nice to meet you."

As on cue, Mrs. Harvey came inside, dressed in an elegant gown, her back was completely straight and she had a beautiful face. Her hair was dark black and her eyes were striking blue. She reminded me of someone but I couldn't make out who. I stood up to greet her but she didn't look at me. She motioned with her hands for me to sit down. I looked nervously at her as she said,

"I have been searching for a good governess for months now. We moved here less than a year ago and I can't seem to find an adequate one."

She looked curiously at me.

"You seem young, do you have any experience teaching?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

"No, mam. I just received my certificate.... but I have acquired adequate knowledge and would try my best to teach your girls." I replied, praying to God she wouldn't send me away. I really needed this. She hummed, "Your recommendations are good...When will you get started?" She said enthusiastically.