chapter 28

I was panting as I walked out. I didn't see where I was going . It was dark and raining now and I was completely drenched. The rain and my tears were mixed on my face. All my feelings, completely overwhelming me.

"Miss Simpson!" Mr. Arthur was calling me as he rushed after me.

"Would you stop and listen to me?" he shouted as he grabbed my arm and hurled me towards him. My back hit his chest as all breath left my body. Bewildered, I turned around and looked up at his face as our breaths mingled together.

"What are you doing!" I screeched but he didn't answer. Furious now, I tried to shove him away but he wouldn't bulge. His arms tightened around me as he said, "Calm down." His voice was muffled by the thunderstorm and by the sound of heavy rain hitting the ground.

"Calm down yourself!" I hissed.

I shivered as the cold seeped into me. My clothes were completely drenched now. He cursed as he grabbed my hand and started to pull me away.

"What are you doing! let me go!" I was yelling but most of the sound was muffled as the sound of thunder striking—shook the ground. I tried to yank my hand back but he stopped abruptly.

"Stop resisting at this instant Miss Simpson!" He hissed down at me and continued to pull me towards a shed that was a little far away—I could barely see it.

"Oh! So it's back to Miss Simpson now—how marvellous!" I snapped. I was frustrated at my own feelings and it seemed that the target for my anger was going to be Mr. Arthur himself. He smirked at me as he said sarcastically,

"For now." I gasped as I heard what he said.

"What do you mean? I never imagined you to be this insolent Mr. Arthur!" I squealed as he turned around quickly to face me, making me almost fall to the floor.

"Imagine it my dear, and please kindly step into the shed," he gritted sarcastically. My eyes widened at the endearment, and I was at a loss for words. I never thought that he could act this way.

"What has happened to you?" I raised my eyebrows at him as we entered, and he finally let me go. He passed a hand over his face as he turned around and closed the door. His clothes were completely drenched. I looked around the small room and saw paintings and old antique things spread out everywhere in the dim light. There was a small sofa placed on the opposite side of the shed, and I sat quietly on it. Mr. Arthur was breathing fast as he finally turned around to face me with something like fury on his face. A muscle of his jaw was twitching and his hands were on his hips.

"What happened to me?" he repeated, "What were you thinking running out in the rain? Where were you planning to go at this time? After consuming almost all the bottles of wine—I may add. Do you realise—" He stopped abruptly as he saw the expression on my face. I probably looked pitiful sitting there in drenched clothes with tear stained cheeks. He swore as he took off his coat and after shaking the water from it, came near me and placed it on my shoulders. My eyes snapped to his as he said quietly, "Wear this."

"I don't need it," I said looking away.

"Please kindly wear this before I loose my sanity Miss Simpson," he snapped. I glared at him as I gingerly passed my arms through the sleeves. It was warm and smelled like him.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked confused as he stepped back. I didn't understand his reaction at all.

"Why are you so agitated? I didn't even do anything. I didn't ask you to follow me— are you mad at me?" It sounded even more small as I said it out loud than it did in my head.

"Yes I am! I am goddamn mad!" I gasped. I had never heard him curse before. He didn't say anything for awhile as his face twitched and then he slowly muttered an apology.