chapter 8

I woke up late the next day. Cursing at myself, I hopped out of bed and started to get ready. I winced while brushing my hair, there were bruises on my arms where the man had grabbed me. I sighed as I remembered how Mr. Arthur had hit the man repeatedly. Almost as if he would kill him.

Mr. Arthur had saved me—But why? I thought he hated me? Any decent human being would have come to my defense surely but.—Mr. Arthur—Who looked ready to kill me every time that he looked at me? I didn't know what to make of the whole situation.

I started stacking my bag with books. My thoughts again drifted to Mr. Arthur. What about the fact that he wasn't even the owner of the factory? If he wasn't the actual owner then who was? And why was Mr. Arthur taking all the heat and anger of the protesters? Completely confused I sat down and looked in the mirror. I was slowly realising that I hadn't known anything and maybe I should start looking deeper into the truth.

The girls jumped on me as soon as I arrived.

"We missed you so much!" They squealed. I almost screamed when they hugged my arms tightly. Grimacing, I shrugged them off.

"I missed you two as well," I tried to smile, "How about we begin our lesson, I hope to leave a little earlier today," Both of them groaned.

"Cmon girls, if you don't hurry, I will start with algebra," I said sternly. Both of them immediately sat down to study. I grinned internally, look at that! I was getting good.

The next few hours went by peacefully. But my thoughts were anything but peaceful. Mr. Arthur had threatened me that he would make my life miserable as a consequence of me coming back. I wanted to leave before he arrived home. I glanced at the clock and chewed on my lips, I had to leave quickly.

Thankfully Mrs. Harvey hadn't brought up my abrupt disappearance yet and I wanted to keep it that way. Standing up, I grabbed my bag.

"Girls, I think it's time I get going, I think we have studied enough today." I tried to scurry away but Elizabeth came and stood in the doorway. Arching one eyebrow she looked at me suspiciously.

"Why do you want to leave? Don't you like us anymore?" She asked.

Shocked, I started shaking my head.

"Then why do you want to leave?" Mary added from behind me. I turned to her,

"I love you both but—I—I have some urgent matter at home to attend to!" Satisfied with my explanation, I turned, and there he was. The same man I wanted to avoid. I had probably committed an atrocity in my past life to end up facing this man again and again.

"Pray tell, what is this urgent matter of yours Miss Simpson?" drawled Mr. Arthur, walking slowly into the tiny room as if he had all the time in the world.

"I—It's a personal matter," I stuttered looking away from him.

"It is?" he asked suspiciously, I just nodded.

"Now if you will excuse me—" I stepped forward but he didn't move out of the way. I looked up, he wasn't going to let me leave on time. Was this his plan to make my life miserable?

I folded my arms, "Is there something you want to say to me?" I scowled as I asked Mr. Arthur.

"Yes, follow me," He said.

Ruffling Mary's hair, he stepped outside into hallway and I went along.

He led me to the living room which had two sofas placed on the opposite sides, blue curtains that covered large windows and a fireplace that kept the room warm.

Mr. Arthur stood by the fire and his back was to me. I started shifting nervously. Was he going to fire me?

"I don't want to employ you here," He said as he turned to look at me. I was staring at the fireplace, I had known this would happen. I just nodded and turned to leave. This was for the better.