Chapter 20

Alis arrived home the very next day and attended the funeral with me. The day had been gloomy, dark and foggy. It had rained as we stood at the funerel, soaking us in more misery. Mrs. Harvey, miss Edith, and so many people had turned out to support me. I was truly overwhelmed with gratitude. Mr. Arthur was there too. Always standing on the sidelines and handling things from afar. Despite our circumstances and differences—now I truly owed him for everything. He wasn't obliged to do anything, but he had done it all. I wasn't sure what to believe anymore regarding him.

Alis and I had stood by our mothers grave, hours after people had left. She placed her head on my shoulder as we stood there grieving. Remembering the good times when everyone was together and happy. We had visited James earlier together that day, letting him take out his grief and sharing it with us. He was completely silent as all three of us had placed our hands together and prayed. I wasn't religious but I imagine that a person looks for consolation when someone departs. It had taken all of my strength to leave him there alone.

Alis started crying again, snapping me
out of my thoughts. I comforted her. "Alis, everything will be fine," I said turning her to face me. I soothed her by rubbing her arms gently.

"We all will be fine; you'll see," I said smiling sadly. It was getting dark and colder now. I took my shawl off and wrapped it around her.

"It's time to go," I whispered. Linking my arms with her, I walked us out of there.

I looked around; everyone had left it seemed. The street was hollow and shining after the rain.The light of street lamps glittered on the wet ground as we walked slowly. When I turned around the corner I saw Mr. Arthur standing alone with his head down near a carriage. I realised he had been there the whole time. A lump got stuck in my throat as we started walking towards him. He looked up as we neared.

"Miss Simpson," He said to me and nodded at my sister.

"Allow me to take you home," he said opening the carriage door. He helped Alis into the carriage and then extended his hand towards me. Glancing briefly at him, I grabbed it and sat opposite him. No one said anything as the carriage started moving. I glanced at Mr. Arthur a few times, and he seemed lost in his thoughts.

Alis had drifted to sleep in the carriage. I stared out the window as my thoughts went to James and Alis. She was leaving tomorrow to London to resume her studies and wanted me to come with her. I had agreed, desperately wanting a change. But I was worried for James and had asked Miss Edith to keep meeting him once a week with food and some medicines until my return, and she had graciously agreed. I would also be writing to him until my stay. I had no idea how long it will be but probably until I decided what to do next and plan ahead. I sighed. Everything seemed uncertain. I had inherited some money, but all of it would likely go towards Alis's education and James.

I looked up as we arrived at our house; it looked so cold and vacant. After saying goodbye to Mr.Arthur, we were heading inside when he called my name. Surprised, I turned around and walked towards him.

He stared at me with an expression I couldn't read. "Can I come in for a moment?" he asked, and I was dumbfounded for a moment.

"Of course," I said, snapping out of my thoughts.

"I heard you're leaving for London," he said looking at me as we entered the house.

I nodded. "Yes tomorrow with Alis," I replied looking away and fidgeting with my hands.

"I am going to bed," Alis said to me as we entered the drawing room. I nodded at her. She stared at Mr. Arthur for a moment before leaving and going upstairs.

"I wanted some water," Mr. Arthur explained.

I nodded and was turning around to get it, when he gently touched my elbow. "I will get it," he said to me quietly, and left.