chapter 25

"Mr. Louis!" I called out as he was leaving. He was almost out of the door. Surprised, he turned around and gave me a questioning look. I was panting as I caught up-to him.

"May I speak with you?" I asked. He nodded and I led him to the drawing room. Thankfully Miss Caroline hadn't followed him out, and Alis had left early for bed. If she only knew what I was planning, she would also disapprove.

"Is something the matter Miss Simpson?" he asked as he sat down on the sofa. He was rubbing his face tiredly as he looked at me.

"I am so sorry to take your time sir, but I needed your help with something urgent." He just nodded and gestured for me to sit down.

I sat down opposite to him as I wrung my hands together. He was looking impatiently at me now.

"I was wondering if I were to sell a house, what would the procedure be?" I stared, not sure how to proceed.

"Well you will find a buyer and sell it," he said slowly in a monotone voice. I tried not to roll my eyes.

"And what documents would I need? Will I need a lawyer to help with this?" He looked at me curiously.

"Yes ; you can use help of a lawyer to guide you through the process, but may I ask, why do you need this information?" He was now even more intrigued.

"I plan to sell my house, after my mother's death no one lives there so I thought I would shift to a smaller property." I replied. I couldn't read his face as his eyes met mine. He nodded after a moment.

"Is there anything else?"

"Yes I need a lawyer for some... legal matters regarding my brother," I said vaguely, trying not to appear suspicious. He didn't say anything.

"I was wondering because you're a solicitor yourself, you might know someone that would be willing to give me some concession," I said and looked away.

"Fine," he said and suddenly stood up. I looked at him in bewilderment. "It might take me sometime, but I will help you."

Shocked, I continued to stare quietly at him.

"I will give you a concession, don't worry." He said in a disinterested tone.

Gratitude and confusion filled me as I nodded.

"Thank you," I said, standing up. He was leaving when a thought crossed my mind. What if he revealed this information to Miss Caroline or someone else. Could I even trust him?

"Mr Louis I would prefer that you don't share this information with anyone else," I said.

His hand paused at the door. He gave me a small nod after a moment had passed and then left.

I sighed in relief as I sat down, the first step was done. Mr. Louis himself would help me! I almost couldn't believe it.

I went to sleep that day with some heavy weight lifted off me. Even though I hadn't achieved anything big. It was a start of something.

________________________

"Mam, I really do not feel well. I cannot go," I repeated the hundredth time as Miss Caroline insisted on us going to another one of her balls. My head was throbbing just thinking of going through all of it again.

It was Alis who whispered to me, "Go..if you don't..it will look more suspicious."

I kept quiet.

"Are you avoiding him?" she prompted, but I didn't say a word.

"Since when did you become a coward?" She asked looking at me curiously. I stared angrily at her.

"You said you didn't love him!" My eyes snapped to hers.