you just need a hug

Before alcatraz (TW, depression)

Albert sat on his back porch, gently petting the head of his cat, Mauser. He didn't want to go anywhere, yet he was tired of being inside. He was still dressed in lazy clothes, grey sweatpants and a plain white T-shirt. Albert had been feeling depressed, unable to gather the energy to do much of anything.

Mauser stretched, his grey stripped fur ruffled slightly as he shook his head. He let out a mewl, walking over to the door. Albert let him in, deciding he wanted to stay out. He sighed, prying one of the porch boards up and grabbing a pack of cigarettes.

Dumbass. Albert scolded himself as he lit the end and tucked his lighter back in his pocket. You said you'd stop smoking. He took a drag, hating himself for it.

"Thought you quit smokin'?" Billy asked. He walked up to the porch and looked down at Albert.

"I wanna fucking kill myself..." Albert muttered. He handed Billy the pack, figuring he'd be nice while he was here and share. Billy took one, tossing the pack back to Albert as he sat down.

"But why though?" He asked, reaching for Al's lighter.

"Look, things aren't going well for me right now."

"Sounds like you need a hug."

"Billy, no one cares enough about me to even check in. I know you're just here to avoid the police, I heard the sirens and you're covered in blood." Albert took another drag, silently wishing Billy had chosen someone else to bother now as he felt tears threaten to show up.

"Yeah, the target saw me and called the cops I guess..." Billy ran his fingers through his hair. "But he's dead." He paused, looking concerned over at the smaller male. "Are... are you okay?"

Albert buried his face in his hands, sliding his fingers through his messy hair. "Do I look okay to you?" He took the cigarette from his mouth and tossed it to the ground, stamping it out. "I wanna fucking die!"

Billy's eyes flashed to pity for a moment, then back to concern. He knew the Weasel struggled with depression and anxiety but men weren't allowed to mention their mental health, so he kept his mouth shut. He was mentioning it now, and to the dangerous hitman who loved to randomly punch him of all people, and that threw Billy off guard. He must actually be thinking of killing himself if he's telling me.

"You uh... you need a damn hug."

"I need all of you to quit being so fucking mean to me!" Albert yelled. He couldn't control his emotions, bouncing back and forth between anger and pure despair.

Billy tried to touch him, just wanting to place his hand to the con-man's shoulder, but Albert flinched away, looking up at him with fear. Shit, maybe I shouldn't have been so mean to him.

"Im gonna touch you." Billy said gently. "I won't hurt you." Albert searched him for the malicious intent, his multicolored eyes sparkled in the lighting as they glanced over the bloody hitman. He nodded, flinching as Billy softly touched his shoulder.

Billy pulled the arsonist into a hug, gently squeezing him. Albert was unable to control it anymore, he broke down crying, clinging to the young man's blood stained shirt. "God, I fucking hate myself!" He sobbed. Billy didn't know what to say, so he just stayed silent and held the Weasel closer. He had no idea how to comfort the poor man, no idea how mental health really worked. Emotions like this were foreign to him, especially when it was another man.

"Hey, your cat loves you, you know." Billy said, trying to sound gentle.

"Mauser would be fine if I died he's a cat."

"But he loves you-"

"Billy stop!"

He did, deciding to just squeeze the con-man tighter. He wasn't good at comforting anyway, he was probably just making things worse. Besides, Al probably didn't want to know why he shouldn't die, just wanted some reassurance that he actually meant something, maybe a reminder that he was real.

Billy plased a soft kiss on weasels head, blushing and hoping Albert wouldn't say anything. He didn't, just smiled slightly and buried his damp face into Billy's shoulder. "Just hang in there." Billy mumbled.

"Then stop hitting me."

"I promise, I will."