nowhere generation

~ we are the nowhere generation, we are the kids that no one wants ~

Billy is 14 in this, Albert is 16

Albert slowly walked down the road to the nearest patch of woods. Down in a deep hole was a secret hideout, dug out by the hands of Billy Handsome and Albert Arlington himself. Their clubhouse was made so long ago, Billy was only ten at the time. They've always been friends, and Albert hoped they always will be.

He sat down at the large, overturned cooler that they used as a table, picking up the pack of cigarettes that the older kids had left there last night. A couple, both in their early twenties, had found the hideout and left some gifts every time they departed. Al assumed they were keeping the peace so they could continue to use the hideout. Maybe others didn't approve of their relationship, they were both men after all. Albert only knew this because he saw them leaving one day, scrambling in the opposite direction as they saw the little hut maker.

Billy crawled down an hour later, pausing to look at what Albert was drawing. Billy always thought he was an amazing artist.

"Hey" Albert looked up and smiled.

"I was hoping I'd find you here." Billy mumbled.

"Of course. I'm almost never anywhere else."

"Yeah. I guess we aren't wanted anywhere else..." there was a short pause. "Hey, I got you something!" Billy said happily. He pulled a black flat cap off his head, gently placing it atop the shorter teen. "I know you were real upset when you lost your hat"

Albert smiled, adjusting the cap slightly. "Thanks, Billy!" He hugged his friend, ignoring the small bit of dirt that fell on them from the roof.

-

They sat mostly in silence, Billy watching over Al's shoulder as he drew in his tiny booklet. That's why Al was so startled when Billy asked question.

"Hey, Al?"

"Yeah?"

"How did you find out that you were gay?" Billy avoided eye contact, staring at the dirt beneath them.

"Well, I suddenly realized that I really liked my friend as more than a friend." He blushed, turning away.

"But.. I'm your only friend." Billy seemed really confused at this, searching the older boy for clues. Albert just nodded, and Billy had a little spark of hope in his eyes. He was asking because he had a crush on the artist.

No one else ever wanted him around. The only time his classmates spoke to him was to hand him a small wad of cash and tell him which ex boyfriend or girlfriend they wanted dead. Erin liked him, sure, but she was always so busy trying to impress her dad that she never had any time to play with Billy. Albert seemed to be all he had, and after being kicked from his home, Billy had nowhere to go except their clubhouse.

Albert was in a simmilar situation. He pretended to be okay, for Billy's sake, but his father had just shot and killed his mom right in front of him. He felt so unsafe at home, and his sisters had their own friends houses they could go to. But what was Albert to do? Their friends didn't like him, plus they were all girls, either first graders or fellow teens. Allison's friends weren't comfortable with Albert being around, so he just went to the little dug out cave. He grieved alone, curled up in the corner until he felt a little better, then he would simply draw and wait for Billy. No matter what, Billy would always be there in the end. Billy was his only friend, and he cherished him. That's why he never said anything about his crush, lest he make Billy uncomfortable.

Billy stared for a moment longer, desperate for Albert to say something more, but the smaller boy just fidgeted nervously as he stared a hole through his own lap. He needed that affirmation that Albert had really been talking about him. He felt the urge to kiss the older boy, but didn't. He didn't want to scare Al.

"Wanna go fuck with that old farmer?" Billy smirked, deciding it best to change the subject. His eyes held an obvious glint of hope still, yet shining with deviance.

"Fuck yeah!" Albert snapped his book shut and followed Billy out of the cave.

They ran to the old farm, rickety, broken down buildings nothing but black silhouettes against the setting sun. That old man nearly killed Billy last year, stabbing him multiple times. Billy even lost an eye to that, nearly bleeding out from that alone as he pounded on Albert's window. The two had been vandalizing his barns or house as revenge. "I believe in an eye for an eye!" Albert had said.

They enjoyed destroying the farmers property a lot more than they should have. It ended up as more than just revenge, more so a game. But fuck him, he deserved it, and Billy was a fucked up young boy anyway. His genuine insanity shone through almost all the time, a psychopath at such a young age and no help to be seen, it was unlikely that Billy would ever get better. Albert didn't mind though, to be frank, he thought it made Billy who he was, and all the more attractive. Albert wasn't exactly innocent either, in fact, he had done his own crimes.

Arson wasn't exactly murder, he could never compare himself to the younger male. But his eyes sparkled madly as he stared into the fire he had lit, watching his cranky neighbors house burn to the grown with satisfying crackling sounds. That'll teach you to slap my momma.

That's how they found eachother. Billy was dragging a body along, but stopped to gaze up at the fire. He was tiny back then, a little bite-sized half of who he is now, yet seemed to have no trouble dragging a larger female behind him.

Albert spun when he finally noticed him, nearly tripping as he took a few steps back. "D-don't tell anyone!" He yelled.

"I have a dead body." Billy replied, not a speck of emotion in his voice. "I'm not exactly in the right if I report you." His cheeks were slightly chubby, Albert noticed, which means he was really young, maybe only seven or eight. Albert was young too, not like he could judge.

"Hey." Billy nudged Albert's arm, bringing him back to the present. "Let's go, flame-boy, before he comes out!"

He took a final look at the burning barn, smiling up as a large chunk of rotting wood crashed down. That'll teach you to hurt my friend. Albert thought bitterly. The same, angry neighbor who slapped his mother nearly killed his best friend, the most important person in the world to him, and Albert wasn't going to drop it this time. Another burning building, what's the old man going to do about it? Nothing. He can't do anything. Even if he tried, who would suspect the small artist of only sixteen? That's right, no one. Albert was an angel, a sweetheart, he was so quiet and shy, he would never do such a thing! Maybe they didn't want him around, but why would the little guy ever do something so awful~

He grinned madly as he ran alongside Billy back down to their little hideout, his hand safely tucked away inside Billy's. They will always be partners in crime. Nothing could separate them.