old friends

Billy and Albert led the other two mobsters around Seattle. The little town of Hillcrest stood abandoned and decrepit, moss and vines growing over the old wooden houses. The two grew up here together, but Sal and Finn had yet to figure that out as they followed behind the younger men. Finally, they came to an old two story house with a porch that housed a rusty, broken swing.

The door was unlocked, so they just walked inside. Albert was the first one to slowly wander around the building with a melancholic look on his face. He stopped in a small bedroom, off colored wallpaper peeling. The wooden floor below creaked awkwardly. White, moth eaten curtains hung loosely by the only window in the room, directly across from a bed that was neatly made. It looked like whoever lived there had just left without taking anything, but that's exactly what happened.

"Looks like a child's room." Sal said, standing in the doorway. Albert was just inside the room, gingerly touching the green quilt on the bed.

"A very sad child's room..." Finn agreed, glancing around at the lack of toys or proper decoration.

"Lots of drawings though." Sal walked a little further into the room, admiring the sakura tree painting that hung on the wall with a little sketch of a dog next to it. Other sketches of dogs, cats, ferrets, and a few of two girls were scattered around the room.

"Its my room..." Albert mumbled. He picket up a fuzzy blue blanket off the ground near the head of the bed, tucked away in the small space where the bed was a small way away from the opposite wall to the window. There was a pillow on the floor, leaning against the wall, and several drawing books and other chapter books. The only one with a cover wasn't legible. "I used to sit here with my best friend when he was over."

"Surprised you had friends" Finn joked.

"Well... I only had one. I was real lonely. Cried a lot when he had to go home."

"Oh. Damn okay now I feel bad." Finn rubbed the back of his neck.

"Sounds like he was important to ya." Sal turned towards Albert as he spoke. "You two still talk?"

"Yeah..." Albert whispered. "But we don't get along well anymore..."

Sal noticed that Billy stood in the doorway, and had a sad look on his face. His eyes looked thicker, somehow, the crystal blue color shining.

"He broke a promise he made to me. He said he'd see me tomorrow, that was my birthday. He never came back... everyone I asked said he skipped town." Weasel continued.

"But you found him again?" Sal asked. Billy nodded, further confusing the boss.

"I ran away because my dad did some fucked up shit to me. Mom kicked me out anyway." Billy said. "Then Al turned up again. I tried to apologize." He paused, blinking the tears away. That explained why his eyes looked thicker. "I really am sorry. I wasn't trying to just abandon you." He choked. He kept his head down, staring at the floor rather than look at the sorrow in Albert's eyes. "I get why you didn't wanna talk when we met again..."

"Well..." Finn started. "That explains why I always catch Weasel staring."

Albert had his head hung as well, the shadow from his cap completely obscuring his face.

"You probably should have said something before you left, Billy." Sal said gently.

"I wasn't thinking..."

"That's not an excuse." Albert replied quietly, barely audible.

"I know..." Billy wiped his eyes with his wrist, looking slightly like a child. "I'm sorry, I wish I'd said something."

It was silent for a moment before Albert walked over to Billy and hugged him. Billy hugged back, hiding his face in the smaller man's coat. "I accept your apology."

Sal smiled. His son was getting better, he was showing emotion and that was a good thing. Finn was also smiling. He, too, had a friend who dissapeared. It was for a different reason, and he worried his friend was dead, but he understood.

-

Albert lay in his bed, the two older men in his parents room and Billy slept in the guest room. He sat up, hearing his bedroom door open. Billy stood there, looking kind of nervous. "Can I sleep with you?" He asked quietly. Albert smiled and nodded.

Albert was never allowed to go to Billy's house because of the way his parents were, but Albert's mom was very kind, although his father wasn't. But he only had one bed, so when Billy would sleep over they would snuggle up together under the blanket and talk until they fell asleep.

Weasel scooted over as Billy crawled into bed and slid an arm around the older male. Albert snuggled into his chest, gripping the back of his shirt.

"Hey, Al?" The hitman asked carefully. "I wanna tell ya somethin'..." Albert nodded, letting him know he can continue. Billy didn't speak at first, just held the con-man tighter as he buried his face into his hair. He sighed. Albert could hear his heart rate increase.

"I... I think I love you..." Billy finally said.

Al looked up slightly, shocked at first, but he smiled and placed a soft kiss to the larger male's jaw. He snuggled back into the hitman.

"I love you too"