Somewhere I Belong

Albert is 15
Billy is 13

Albert walked along the sidewalk, hands in his pockets, ignoring the glares he got from strangers in the neighboring houses. He had a large bruise under his right eye and one on his jawline. His father had just been screaming at him, calling him all sorts of slurs and chucking things at him before finally punching him a few times and throwing him out the door. Quite literally.

The neighbors could hear the slurs being used and put two and two together, scowling angrily. A teenager? Gay? In their town? Absolutely not, he must be confused! He was only joking, or perhaps was trying to see how the town would react so his friend could come out. But there would be no gays in their town, and things were chucked at the small boy as he walked.

A kitten? Yeah they threw that too. A tiny little fella, must only be a month old, grey tabby fur and big, sparkly green eyes. He was beautiful, so Al just smiled down at him and cradled him as he walked along. He caught it as it was thrown, so he hoped the little kitten wasn't hurt.

It was nearly midnight, and Albert gently tapped on Billy's window. He kept the kitten, whom he decided to name Mauser, swaddled in his hoodie pocket. Billy opened the window, hissing that this wasn't a good time. His father was in a foul mood and had been drinking all night, only leaving Billy alone because he was pretending to sleep.

"Sorry, look, I just got kicked from my house, I need the keys for the hideout." Al held Mouser up to the window, who greeted Billy with a scratchy mew. "Oh yeah, and someone threw a kitten at me."

"Sure, let me fin-" Billy looked baffled as he looked back at Mauser. "They threw a kitten?"

"His name is Mauser! Isn't he cute?" Albert gave a wide smile, simmilar to one a child would give to a brand new Christmas present. He was obviously already in love with the little ball of fur.

Billy chuckled, reaching out to boop the tiny, pink nose. He turned back inside and ruffled around in one of his dresser drawers until he found the key to the padlock on the clubhouse door. He bowed back outside, tossing the keys down.

"Be careful! Don't let them see you." Billy half-whispered.

"I will!" Albert ran off towards the woods, being sure to snatch a basket of bread and fruit from someone's porch as he went.

Time skip!
Albert is now 22
Billy is now 20
They now live in Chicago

Albert knocked on Billy's home door, Mauser tucked into his buttoned up peacoat. Billy opened the door, only throwing it open a few inches before running back to his kitchen. He was clearly busy with something. Al put Mauser on the ground and walked to the kitchen, draping his coat over the couch as he went.

"Something smells crispy- oh sweet Jesus.." Albert stopped in the kitchen doorway, waving his hand at the black smoke that filled the air. Billy had tried to make something but clearly failed, the mystery food now just a lump of charcoal. There wasn't a fire, but it was evident that there was one earlier.

"I uh.. I burnt it." Billy smiled awkwardly and chuckled. Al chuckled back and moved to help him clean the mess.

-

They sat on the couch, glass of whiskey in hand, just talking about the things that have been going on. It had been a while since they actually sat down and talked, they've been so busy with their roles in the mob. Al told about his latest heist, only slightly exaggerating. Billy seemed impressed with him, but then again, when was he not? He was always impressed with the smaller male's ability to pull these things off almost flawlessly.

No one else did though. In fact, the rest of the mob, including Salvatore himself, seemed to hate the Weasel. He was a rat, nothing more than the lying little theif who brought home their bacon. It hurt, he couldn't deny it, they were all so mean to him, all except for Billy. His childhood friend meant more to him than the younger male could ever possibly know. 

Yet, Al was confused by Billy's next actions. Apparently, he meant more to the hitman than he would ever realize.

During a short pause, Billy leaned forward and gently pressed his lips against the con-man's. He pulled away before Al could kiss back, but that didn't stop him as he leaned forward himself and reconnected them. Things got heated, they hooked up, Al spent the night.

-

Albert opened his eyes, barely registering the larger male behind him and snuggled into his back. His multicolored eyes trailed down to his hand, fingers tangled up with those of the hitman. After everything he's been through, all the people who glared at him with disgust or hatred, he only had one person who would treat him like he was human. A psychopath of all people.

But it didn't matter. He shifted down, snuggling his back a little closer to Billy. He felt he belonged here, any ounce of depression or imposter syndrome he had was gone as the hitman wrapped his arms tighter around Albert. He smiled and sighed softly, opting to go back to sleep as he felt Mauser leap onto the bed and snuggle up next to his legs. Billy kissed his neck, pulling him just a little closer.

"I love you" he mumbled, and Al mumbled the same in return.

He found somewhere he was wanted, somewhere he belonged, and he wouldn't leave it for anything else.