25 He transformed

When she wakes up, it's because of that pain. She feels this weird sensation that can only mean one thing, the transformation happened.

It's five in the morning, early, but Jonah may need her. She knows he has the others. She wants to be there herself.

She fell asleep in a hoodie and sweatpants. She only needs to put on her shoes. She takes her phone, puts it in a bag and walks downstairs, careful not to wake anyone.

Outside she closes the door and turns around. She stops breathing for a second: 'Edward', she whispers.

'Be careful; you know what can happen.'

'I know.'

He steps aside, and she gets in her car and drives off.

Jonah walks towards Sam's house, where he lives with Emily. Something they told him that he believed easier. The rest was more unbelievable. A wolf, he turns into a giant wolf. And so does Jared? Inside, Sam makes him sit down, and he looks around: 'Is that why you didn't talk to us anymore? This crazy...'

Jared doesn't say anything but nods. Sam looks at both: 'And because it's dangerous. Stay away if you can, if they don't know.'

Jonah nods; it makes sense; Paul wouldn't have either of his friends. And then he realizes something. This means he had to stay away from Lola without a good explanation.

Lola steps out of her car. She was going back and forth, imagining different situations. Why didn't you tell me? This is something important, you're my friend! I don't know how to... What's happening to me? How would Jonah react?

Jared walks out of the house and closes the door behind him: 'Hey.' He says and walks up to her.

'He is inside?' She asks: 'Is he ok?'

'Everything is good.' He assures her: 'He is worried about you.'

'Why?'

'Because Sam said he should avoid contact with anyone that doesn't know about the wolves.'

'Oh, he doesn't know that I....'

'That you already know?' Jared finishes her sentence: 'Sam thought it was best if you told him yourself.'

She nods; she could have expected Sam to say something like that: 'Then I better get it over with.'

'Ladies first.' Jared laughs and lets her pass him. She opens the door. Jonah sits on a chair listening to Sam with his head down: 'Jonah...?'

Sam is talking to him. He isn't listening anymore until he hears her voice. She says his name. When he looks up, his worries fade away. It doesn't matter anymore; only she does. His surroundings disappear away, and her face glows. He is happy that she is here, more than actually. He doesn't realize it, but he gets up and stands a foot away from her. She takes his hand, and he follows her. The cold air hits his face. His mind starts racing: 'Lola, ...' he says nothing more. What's happening?

They walk. Lola walks and thinks about how she is going to tell him. She knows what happened. She didn't imagine this. A few minutes later, Jonah stops walking. 'Lola, can you stop?'

She stops, turns around and says: 'It has happened. How are you?'

'I guess I'm ok... Wait, you knew this would happen? You knew about the wolves?'

'Yes, I wanted to tell you, but would you have believed me?' She looks at him, the different options running through her head. Something happened that changed everything. Something she didn't think of.

'Probably not.' He takes his hand through his hair. Lola goes to sit against a tree. He asks her: 'How do you know about this?'

'So first my hands started glowing, that scared me. It scared me a lot, after that, I didn't know what to do so I... I started looking for answers. I couldn't tell anyone...'

He sits opposite her: 'You're rambling, Lola.'

'I'm sorry. This makes me nervous.'

He lifts her face in his hands: 'It's ok. Your hands glow. What did you find out?'

How can he calm her down so quickly? He makes it so easy to tell him her truth. She tells him about the boxes, about finding out about Vampires, and how she found out about the wolves. 'That's most of it.'

'That's quite a story, he says, and a smile forms on her face: 'That's better, he says.

'I thought you would be angry about keeping this secret.'

He takes her hand: 'Why would I be angry. I understand it's not something you just tell someone.'

'You're not just someone Jonah, and now... You feel the connection too.' He must, otherwise...

'It's stronger now, he says, still holding her hand: 'You mean it's something more?'

She is surprised at how calm he is: 'There is this thing called imprinting; it's something special. They say it's like finding your soulmate, finding that one perfect match. She takes her hand back and looks at him to see his reaction.

He is looking at her, processing it.

'Lola, Emily made food, so if you want some.' They hear Jared shout.

A silence follows. It gives Jonah some time to process.

'I think it's time to go back', Jonah says, standing up and offering her a hand.

Inside they see the sandwiches on a plate on the table. Emily smiles at them: 'Please take one.'

And that's what they do. Jonah glances at her a few times while Sam and Jared tell him everything he needs to know.

And then it's time: 'I think I'll go home, try to do some homework.' Lola says. She doesn't want to leave. She wants to talk with Jonah and know what he thinks about everything. She sees Jared look at her. She nods and smiles, letting him know that she is ok.

Outside, Jonah walks up to her: 'Can I come....'

'Of course.' She says, unable to hide how happy it makes her.