9 Helping Bella on her first school day

When the following day starts, Lola and Bella have different alarms in their rooms but in the same house. Bella wakes up easier than Lola.

Lola slowly leaves her bed and picks an outfit, skinny black jeans and a mint-coloured jumper. She told Bella to pay attention to her clothes for her first day. She doesn't know if that's what's on her sister's mind.

During breakfast, it's obvious how nervous Bella is. She holds her hands in her sleeves and barely eats anything.

Lola looks at her: 'It will be fine. I'll introduce you to my friends.' She thinks about Jessica and Bella. They're both so different, but they could be friends.

Bella puts on a brave face and nods.

Lola drives, talking to Bella. She tells her about school. The little things, like which food she should pick at lunch. Bella occasionally nods, looking out the window at the buildings next to the road.

'Everything will work out fine.' Lola repeats. Once at the school, she parks her car in her usual spot.

Bella looks at her sister: 'Can you come with me to pick up my schedule?'

'Of course.' Lola smiles: 'I'll show you around and everything. It will be kind of fun. You know, for school.'

Bella takes a breath and steps out of the car. Everyone looks at her, and when Lola stands beside her, she says: 'Follow me.'

Lola knew her sister would attract attention. She is new, and that's rare here. She points at parts of buildings telling her sister where everything is while simultaneously going to the administration building to get Bella's schedule.

Everything goes well. Lola thinks Bella fits in. She stays silent during the lessons and only speaks when she has to, which Lola expected.

When Lola and Bella go sit next to Jessica during math. Jessica, who typically talks, is silent. She looks at Lola's sister once, and math and Spanish also pass.

At lunch, Mike and Angela introduce themselves. Mike tries to sit next to Bella, but it's no use. Bella sits on the edge with Lola beside her and Jessica across from her. Bella doesn't talk; she eats and looks around.

Mike tells Lola and Angela about his weekend; his parents own a store. On weekends, he helps them and sometimes talks about the customers. It wasn't new this time; some tourists didn't prepare for their hike.

Angela tells something about her aunt that flew over. How is school? How are your friends? Do you have good grades? Have you thought about a new hobby, maybe chess?

Lola doesn't listen. She looks at Bella, who, in her turn, is looking at the Cullens. The one family Lola avoids. Not because of who they are but because the truth still scares her.

There are five of them. Alice is a pixie-like, thin girl with small features. Her hair is deep black, cropped short and pointing in every direction. Lola hears Jessica tell Bella about how Alice is together with Jasper, making it clear that she finds it strange. He has honey-blond hair; he smiles at Alice.

Jessica points Emmett and Rosalie out. He is the tallest and very muscular with slightly curly, dark brown hair. He forms a pair with the beautiful Rosalie. She has blond hair and an elegant figure. It's the kind of girl you wish you could be.

'And who is he?' Bella asks Jessica.

'That's Edward, but don't get your hopes up. Apparently, nobody is good enough for him.' She replies and looks back at her plate.

Edward catches Bella's attention. A guy with an angular face, green eyes and bronze-tinted hair. He turns and looks at their table. Past Lola, he sees Bella.

Lunch is over, and it's time for biology. Angela moves her hands: 'Lola, faster, we only have three more minutes.'

Lola bites her apple and throws the rest in the bin. The two girls are fast, but only just fast enough. Lola stands next to Mike when the teacher walks in.

Bella gives the teacher a piece of paper to sign, and he sends her to the only available seat. It's next to Edward.

Slowly she walks towards him, and Edward turns away. He moves away from her without introducing himself.

Lola sees this and recognises the hunger he has. He glances at her for a moment, knowing that she knows. He acknowledges it. It doesn't reassure her in any way. She tenses up, and when the bell announces the end of the lesson, Edward leaves the room.

Lola looks at the door, surprised by everything that just happened. She is both surprised and worried.

She looks at her sister. Bella puts her books away, and Mike asks: 'What was his problem?'

'Isn't he always like that?' Bella blushes, and Angela lays a hand on her shoulder before going to her next lesson.

'Lola, if you keep dreaming, we'll be late again.' Mike says, and Lola looks at him. She blinks her eyes: 'Ok.'

'So, we need to start going.' Mike says, moving his hands in a walking motion.

Bella laughs. Lola takes her bag and the book lying on the table.

The last lesson of the day is sports, they have volleyball. Lola and Jessica always form a team, and Mike teams up with Bella. Lola and Jessica win all their games. Jessica looks at Mike and Bella. They just finished their last game.

'And what are you thinking?' Lola asks her when she discovers who her best friend is looking at.

'He is going to be completely black and blue.'

Lola laughs: 'He is fine.' Bella managed to hit three students, giving them a bruise; one of them was Mike. It's nothing serious, but Bella is happy when she can return to the changing rooms.

After school Lola and Bella do some grocery shopping.