27 Managing time

Edward and Bella talk. Lola is relieved when the school building appears. She leaves the car and almost runs to Jessica: 'Hey Jess.'

'Lola', Jessica says and doesn't look at her: 'Your sister and Edward, they're a thing now.'

'Oh, Jess, stop talking about it. I had to drive with them to school. I feel like such a third wheel.'

Bella walks, looking down so she can see where she is going.

'How did your dance end. Lola, you left so soon.' Jessica says, turning towards her friend.

'I know. I'll tell you later.' It is time to get to class.

'During math, you'll tell me everything.'

Lola predicted this but still looked up to all the questions. Maybe she could find a way to distract her.

Before Lola knows it. It's time for math. When she enters the classroom, she sees Jessica sitting in the back. She sighs, walks towards Jessica, and sees the girl almost bouncing up and down in her chair. 'Tell me why you left so soon?' she whispers.

'Jonah didn't feel well, so I brought him home.'

Jess almost looks disappointed: 'That's how it ends... Nothing more.'

'I checked up on him the next day. I saw he felt a lot better....'

'He wasn't sick at all...' her eyes grow wide.

'Jess, you have to let me talk! Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but we talked. It turned out he wished I would have really asked him.' Lola says, looking straight ahead.

'But you wanted to do that, so did you tell him that?'

'Yes, and so now....'

'Oh, I'm so happy', Jessica says. 'And...'

'Jess...'

Jessica tilts her head and starts talking about her own evening. Lola almost feels like she is there with them. Jessica tells her everything in such detail she doesn't even need to see it to imagine how it went. And apparently, Mike kissed her. Her night obviously couldn't have been better. 'We have the dance at the end of the year, and That will be better.' Jessica ends her story.

Although Lola didn't really mind that she had missed most of it.

The following week: Lola doesn't see her friends from school very much. She sees Mike mostly during biology, trying to figure out how to look through a microscope and what lies under it. She talks with Angela between lessons. Jessica calls most nights.

'Lola, can you come?' Bella asks her sister when class is over.

'Yeah?'

'sit with us today.' Bella says.

Jessica looks a little bit annoyed but nods eventually. 'Ok!' Lola says, following her sister to get food and towards the one table where they always sit, the Cullens.

The next few days, she sits with the Cullens during lunch. They talk a lot, and Lola surprises Emmett with her sport-knowledge. She talks with Alice about a store that just opened in Seattle. Luckily Jessica told her all about it the night before. Bella stays quiet and looks at everyone, taking tiny bites of her food. Lola and her sister are the only ones eating. None of the other students noticed that the Cullens didn't eat or drink. She surprises almost everyone when Rosalie compliments her new earrings.

And after school, she is at Sam's and Emily's.

Jonah sits on one of the two couches. She leans against his legs while reading something in her book she had gotten a while ago.

'You're always looking through that book. What so interesting about it?' Jared asks from the other couch.

'Yeah, isn't that the book about Vampires?' Sam asks.

'It is. I must know these things. It helps me protect people like my sister. Take this dagger, for example.' She answers, going back a few pages to point at a picture.

They both come closer to look at it. Lola feels that Jonah leans forwards. 'What about it?' he asks.

'Does it kill Vampires' Sam asks.

'Not quite', she answers: 'It doesn't kill them; it weakens the supernatural, All the supernatural.'

'So, it also...', Jared states the obvious.

'To quote the book ", This dagger comes from one family but can be used by many. This dagger protects humankind from every possible supernatural threat..." It's a long sentence to say that it brings everyone that's not entirely human to a state that a person would be able to defend themselves.'

When she comes home, she notices something about Bella. Her sister is acting differently. She asks her sister more questions, but Bella does not reply. Jessica suggests taking Bella shopping. That would make it all better, but Lola didn't think that would help. She thought about asking Jonah, but in the end, she didn't.