6 Back home

Jonah sits with his brother on a wooden bench. They're talking with Bella. She is sitting in the car they're supposed to work on. There is not much left to do. They need more parts first, and they need to find them cheap. They didn't have much luck so far. Jacob laughs. Bella opened up a bit more after a while. He looks up when he hears the door open.

'Bella, I'm back, so we can go home. Is that ok with you?'

'Ok.' Bella says and jumps out of the car.

'See you Wednesday, Lola.' Jonah calls after her.

'Yeah, till then.' She replies with a smile.

He takes the cloth and puts it away on a shelf. This all feels oddly normal, like he never left.

'The car is finally getting somewhere; I think only a few more weeks are left. If we find the right parts.' Jacob says to him.

Jonah turns around: 'Yup.'

'Did you even hear what I said?' Jacob asks and throws another cloth to his brother.

Jonah catches it, but barely.

'Are your thoughts somewhere else?' Jacob jokes.

Jonah knows what he is talking about and who he is referring to. Jacobs likes to mock him.

He decides not to respond because it will only worsen things and maybe because Jacob is telling the truth. His thoughts were with someone else. During his time away, he missed her. he missed his brother and father like his sisters. With her, it was different. It is different. Sometimes he thinks of telling her, but he fears it would not be the same and maybe worsen things. He doesn't want to ruin the friendship he has with Lola.

Jonah cleans up for a few minutes and then follows his brother back to the house. There is still so much more to do. When he came home, he spent time with his father and brother. After that, he slept. Today he worked on the car. He didn't really unpack only what he needed. Tomorrow he needs to go to school again. He didn't do anything for that either. 'Hey, dad.'

'Are you ready for tomorrow?'

'Not yet.' He says: 'I don't have much to do. I'll start after dinner.'

'Ok.' His father answers, but he looks distracted.

'Everything ok, dad?' Jacob asks when he comes out of his room. His brother sees it as well. The strange look that their father has.

Shaking his head, he says: 'I'm fine. I'm just not used to seeing him at the table again.' He jokes about Jonah being back.

They set the table, and Jacob and their father talk about the car and school while they eat. Jonah doesn't say much and leaves the table quickly. He wants to forget that look and tell himself that nothing is happening. He walks into his room. It's simple, a bed, a dresser and a desk. He has a small room, so there isn't any space for anything else. He doesn't need anything more. It's functional.

He decides to start unpacking again. Most of his clothes need to be washed, and he places books on his desk. And other stuff goes on his bed until he finishes the rest.

When he returns from bringing his laundry away, he stops in front of the window. He looks outside. His bag lays open on his bed, half-packed. He should go back to it. There is an English assignment that he needs to finish. Another five minutes, and it should be fine. He has a few more math questions that he needs to solve. He started these things while away. It will get done. He is adjusting to being back home.

He takes his phone; he wants to send a text to Lola. When he unlocks the screen, he sees he has one from Jared. One of his friends from school. He'll see him back tomorrow. Jared and Paul. He mostly hangs out with them.

Jared: 'Don't forget to choose a song for English class. You'll be back tomorrow, right?'

Jonah: 'Oh yeah, I forgot. Monday is my first day back! Do you have a song?'