31 The end part 1

Jonah lays Lola in bed. She is fast asleep, which is good. When she shivers, he tucks her in. A tear runs down her face. It looks sad but still peaceful. He doesn't know how to help her. Bella is far away. She is right; the only thing they can do here is hope for the best. She told him the Cullens help by protecting Bella and Charlie and tracking the other vampires. Edward told her they would have to take James down. If he survives, he'll keep coming back. Jonah believes he is right.

Jonah looks around her room. Behind her bed are a few pictures on the wall, one of her and Bella when they were little. She must be six or something. A photo of her and her mother from last summer, he supposes. In one of the other pictures are her friends from school. It is the last few pictures that take his attention. One of them was from before he went away last year. One photo is of Jonah and Lola on the beach, and another is of himself. It is outside of Emely and Sam's place. He wonders when she took it.

He stands up from her bed, he stops, and she is moving. She is still sleeping. He walks away from her and sees that book on her desk. The book she is always reading in. She even started to write things in it and underline some sentences. He takes a seat at her desk and waits.

Lola opens her eyes. She faces the wall and turns around. She sees Jonah sitting at her desk, remembers what had happened, and sits up.

'Good morning. Did you sleep well?'

'Did something happen? How long did I sleep?' How long could she have been asleep? Edward would call if something happened. She looks at her phone; no messages.

He walks to her and sits next to her on the bed. 'Nothing changed, and you have slept three hours.' He says, taking her phone from her and laying it back on the nightstand.

She steps out of bed. He tries to stop her. She shakes his hand off and looks at the book on her desk. She flips through the pages, not thinking she will find anything more. She read the practical subjects multiple times. She sighs and starts pacing; something needs to be done.

He holds her by her wrist: 'Please sit down.'

'I cannot, I must....'

He pulls her on his lap and holds her close, so she can not get up. 'There is nothing you can do from here. They will catch him, and your sister will return before you know it.' He whispers in her ear, using a calm tone in his voice. It helps. They sit like this for some time. He slowly rubs his hand over her arm and kisses the side of her head.

Then her phone rings: 'Is there any news?' She asks. It is Edward on the phone.

'They know she is in Phoenix; we are going to get her.' Edward says.

'I'm coming as well.'

'No, you stay there.' He says sternly.

'You can't keep me here. She is my sister.' She tells him: 'I can help.'

'Ok.' He agrees: 'I'll text you later and mail the flight tickets to you.' He says before the call ends.

The following two hours go by in a blur. Lola calls her father to get permission to go to Phoenix. Jonah tries to convince her to let him come with her.

'You won't have a ticket.' She tries the practical route.

He holds her by her shoulders: 'Let me be there to protect you.' The tone of his voice says even more. He needs to keep her safe. It's the bond of the imprint taking over.

'I'll be safe.' She says: 'I want you to keep an eye on my father. Please.'

He gives in: 'Let me know if anything changes.'

She puts on clean clothes, and they leave for the airport as soon as she is ready. She can feel her heart beating.