11 Sister, Ally, Friend

Bella makes dinner. It's steak and baked potatoes. Lola sits in the kitchen. 'How was your first day?'

Bella turns around: 'It was ok.' She says.

Lola smiles, knowing her sister. It is a good answer. 'But really?' She knows something is wrong

Her sister doesn't answer immediately: 'I was stressed, but I had you.' Bella says. 'Edward was acting strange.' She hesitates but adds: 'I don't think Jessica likes me.'

Lola's smile fades. Bella noticed. Of course, it's not like Jessica is subtle: 'She will, Bella. She doesn't know you yet.' Edward acts strange because he is a vampire, but she cannot just say he smelled her blood.

Bella nods: 'It's just why, doesn't she?'

'You remember Mike?' Lola saw his reaction to her sister.

'Does she like him?' Bella asks.

'Yes.' Lola knows Jessica is jealous.

'Can you set the table?' Bella asks.

Lola nods. She keeps talking while Bella finishes making dinner. When their father joins them, he carefully takes his first bite. Bella looks nervous. But he seems happy about it. 'It 'good.' He says: 'Really good.' Bella looks happy.

'It's better than Renee's cooking.' He finishes his sentence. Both sisters are sad that it's something he decided to remember about her.

Lola sits in her car, safe from the rain. Lola turns the steering wheel and drives over the roads in the woods. She stops next to a small house. It doesn't look lived in yet. Sam only moved in yesterday. He saw the opportunity to fix it. He thought being separate from the town could have benefits. It would be safer for his mother, and there would have to be less lying.

Sam opens his front door. The engine of Lola's car announced her arrival. He motions for her to come inside.

'Hey, Lola, take a seat.' Sam sits on the other chair.

There is silence.' They don't really know where to start. Lola looks at him and sees he doesn't know what to say either. This is a strange situation. He turned into a wolf. She has some form of magic, and they'll have to work together. 'Tell me, what did Billy say?'

'Uhm... He told the legends again. You've been to one of the campfire nights, right?'

Lola nods: 'I know them.'

Sam tells other less popular stories, but they show different parts of the shifters, like imprinting and how an alpha works. 'Your turn.' He finishes.

'I told you how it all began. Until now, I didn't really do anything except read a book here and there. I had no reason to do anything specific, so I worked on my condition and combat skills.' Lola tries to think of something that needs to be done. She has been thinking about it the whole day. 'So, my gift originated to protect others just like yours. We should learn how to work together. And when new members come, then you teach them. I will help where I can.'

'Ok, we better get started.'

The floor in Jessica's room is covered in clothes. She looks in a mirror and puts on some lip gloss. She is wearing dark skinny jeans and a red knitted jumper. It looks comfortable, which it is, but it also looks fantastic.

She puts her Spanish away, takes her essay from the printer and walks to her car. She throws her backpack in the passenger seat and takes her phone. She has no texts. Will she...? No, she is not going to send any now. She puts her phone back and drives off.

When she arrives at school, Jessica sees her friends. They're all together, with Bella. Angela sits next to her, talking. Mike just sits and looks at her. What does he think makes Bella so unique? Nothing about her is impressive or even better than anyone else. She is more intelligent, funnier and better-looking than that Bella girl.

Jessica realises she is frowning and relaxes again. Think about something else. Lola looks over and waves. Jessica shakes her head and turns, walking off in a different direction.

Later in the day, Jessica eats her lunch outside. This is not how it's supposed to be. She feels sorry for herself, and nothing has even happened yet. She drinks from her water bottle.

'Jess, is something wrong?'

It's Lola. Of course, she is here to fix things. Jessica starts crying.

'Jess.' Lola sits beside her and hugs her: 'Tell me what's wrong.'

'Nothing is wrong.' Jessica says, holding onto her best friend: 'I don't know why I deserve such an amazing friend when I'm... I'm me.'

'I don't want you to be anyone else.' Lola says, and Jessica smiles.