23 Is Jonah next?

Lola arrives at the beach and sees Jonah, pointing at his watch. 'I'm here.' She says while running in place: 'Ready?'

He laughs and starts running.

'That's a false start'. Lola shouts, catching up fast.

He takes over her tempo, and they start talking. Random things, like always, they talk and laugh but don't even get close to what she wants to ask. There is more time until they stop jogging, and Jonah says: 'I need to finish some homework so....'

'Jonah...' she says, and he turns around: 'Would-you-like-to-come-to-the-spring-dance-with-me?' She holds her hands behind her back and looks at him, waiting for his answer.

He gives her a strange look, but he doesn't reply.

'I mean, we could go as friends if you would like that.'

He keeps looking and finally nods: 'See you Friday.'

Lola walks in and sees Emily, who moved in. 'Lola, come in, take a sandwich.' Emily says and smiles at Lola.

Sam sits at the table. He nods at Lola while Jared eats his sandwich as fast as possible. She goes to sit next to Jared and takes a sandwich with cheese. 'So, did something happen?'

'Lola, you called yesterday.' Sam says: 'What do you think changed?'

'I don't know.' she shrugs: 'Something could have.'

'Are you waiting for Jonah to change?' Sam finishes her thought, and he stands up and goes towards the kitchen where Emily stands.

'He is next?' Jared asks and looks at Lola. He understands that this is different for her. 'It's going to be ok.' He says, for her, maybe for himself.

'I hope so.' She says. She appreciates what he tries to do: 'You're one of his best friends.' She says.

He nods slowly, suspicious as to why she says this.

'See, I think I did something foolish.' He may know something that could make the difference between her being a fool or that it will be fine.

'I don't think so. What did you do?'

'I asked him to the spring dance.' She replies, looking for a clue. He starts laughing. She wants to be angry but realizes something: 'Did he say something?'

'Maybe?' He says mysteriously: 'What did he do? Did he forget to reply?' She doesn't react: 'Oh, he did.' He starts laughing again.

The next day, Jonah and Paul walk to the school's parking lot. 'You're going.' Paul says.

'Yes.'

'And you're going together.'

'Yes, but...'

'Then everything is alright. Stop complaining.' Paul says: 'I'm starving....'

'Stop.' Jonah sees Jared.

Paul wants to say something, and then he sees it: 'Is that Jared, and who is... Come, let's go. Tell him he cannot just disappear on his friends for some.... Hé Jared!'

Jonah looks at Jared when he turns away, and the girl follows. He's got other things to worry about than someone who doesn't want to be his friend. 'Let him be Paul. Let's go find something to eat.'

It is the day of the dance. Lola works on her sister's hair while Jessica does Angela's make-up. 'It is time you tell me with who you'll go to the dance?' Jessica asks the two sisters: 'It's the day itself. How long do you think you can keep it a secret?' Jessica turns Angela's chair around to show the result while Lola puts in the last pin and takes a brush that Jessica hands her over.

'I am going with Edward.' Bella says quietly.

Jessica looks up, surprised: 'So nice. Lola, you should use this lip-gloss on her.' she sounds sincere.

'And Lola, did you ask him?' Angela asks Lola while Jessica brushes her own hair.

'How do you know....' Bella starts asking.

Lola interrupts to answer Angela's question: 'Yeah, I asked Jonah, but I don't know... Are we going as friends, or does he understand...?'

'Of course, you asked him, I knew. Do not worry when I am done with you. You will be irresistible.' Jessica says It like it is a fact.

She could not argue her way out of this, but she didn't want to.