22 shopping

Jessica drives. She holds the steering wheel with one hand, and with another one, she changes the music. Lola sits in the passenger seat, which leaves Angela and Bella in the back.

'This is better.' Jessica says: 'So, where was I?'

Jessica had gone over her date with Mike for long enough. She told them what he was wearing and what they ate. Jessica also tried to analyze every bit of their conversation. 'And do you know what kind of dress you want?' Lola asks to change the topic.

'I want something nice and cheerful. I don't know yet. I am just going to try a lot of different options.' Jessica shrugs: 'And do you know what you're looking for?'

Bella and Angela mumble something that is supposed to be their answer.

'Maybe a simple black dress. You cannot go wrong with a little black dress.' Lola's voice goes a little higher near the end of the sentence. Jessica has an opinion when it comes to clothes.

Jessica considers it: 'You're not wrong, but I still think we must look for something different.'

When the car is parked, the shopping can begin. They stand in the part where most of the dresses are. Jessica chooses many options, like she said, and eventually goes for a bright blue dress on knee-length. Angela decides on a long pale pink dress, and Bella gets the little black dress Lola wanted. Jessica disagreed and gave her a white dress on knee-length covered with a light-yellow flower pattern. Something Lola would never pick herself but looks surprisingly good on her.

She goes further by choosing the right accessories and maybe some shoes. 'I have perfect good shoes at home.' Lola says and looks at the light blue sandals. The heels are too high for her taste, but Jessica doesn't change her opinion: 'You need them.' And then Jessica hands her a silver necklace with a light blue stone.

The items get paid; they put them in Jessica's car.

'We have some time left before the movie.' Jessica says.

'Let's go to this bookshop, I ordered something, and it's almost on our way to the pizza place, and after that, the movie?' Lola suggests.

She didn't know about this bookstore beforehand but found it in one of her notebooks. It said that sometimes it had information, even a website where you could order books. There is much more to learn about the wolves, vampires, and her powers.

She doesn't know what she expected, but the store looks doubtful. It has big windows but is mainly covered by dark brown curtains. There is a small door when Lola walks in. There is the sound of a bell to announce her presence.

'You ordered something.' The woman looks at her, irritated in a way. Still, she can see the woman's eyes are filled with curiosity and a bit of suspicion. The woman gives her a fake smile when she lays the book on the counter. She knows it's a rather expensive one. Lola lays the money on the table and takes the bag her book was in. It has a dark blue cover, and the title on the back reads "Tales of the cold ones and the original vampires". It has 689 pages of information. The bag is dark brown and not see trough.

Outside she sees Jessica tapping her food while Angela and Bella are chatting. 'I thought you said it was on our way.' Jessica tells Lola and gives her friend an annoyed look: 'This is far from it.'

After the pizza, they go to the movie. Lola looks aside. Bella sits next to Angela; they're becoming good friends. Next to her sits Jessica and then herself. Jessica stares at the screen. She picked the movie. Lola taps her shoulder: 'I need some fresh air.' Jessica nods, but Lola is sure she doesn't know what she said.

She sits down on a bench.

'Hello.' Edward sits beside her: 'How did you know I would be here.'

'Let's call it intuition.' She says but thinks about how she knows he is following Bella.

He grins: 'You know, don't you?'

That you read minds.

'Yes.' He says: 'Why would you risk her life.'

'What do you mean?' This she says out loud. She doesn't understand why.

He glances at her before looking away again toward where Bella is. 'You're here to convince me it's a good idea to take her to the ball?'

He doesn't seem to get it, and she knows he can see the explanation in her head, but she likes to think that this is kind of a normal conversation, so she says her thoughts out loud: 'You don't want to hurt her, I have seen it. In all the time your family has been here, nothing happened. I try to trust you.' He wants to interrupt her, but she doesn't let him: 'And if I am wrong, I hope I'm not. I will be there to help her. I do not think you want to avoid her, so why not give it a chance. You may surprise yourself.'

His face softens. He has given in: 'Maybe you're right. I'll try it your way.'

He looks happier. She sees it. He wants to go along with the plan. And it will be good for Bella to have him in her life.

'You really think so?' he asks silently.

She nods and knows he is gone before she can say anything else.

'Why are you sitting here by yourself?' Angela asks.

'Yeah, you missed the end of the movie.' Jessica says.

Lola grins at Bella, knowing it would be alright and then tells the others: 'I can count on you, Jess, to tell me everything, right?'

'Of course.' The girl says, and the four walk out of the theatre, laughing.