15 The accident

Lola wakes up to a fresh layer of snow. Their father put the snow chains on the car, which makes it easier for Lola to drive.

They arrive at school, and Lola opens the car door. She sees Bella reading something: 'Are you coming?'

'Just a minute.' Bella answers, looking at the book in her lap.

'Here.' Lola lays the keys on the book: 'Can you lock the car?' When she gets out, She gets hit by a snowball. Lola shivers and looks around. Jessica looks at Lola, smiling. Lola knows what happened. A smile creeps up on her face. She takes some snow and runs after Jessica.

Jessica stands against the wall. Lola sees Angela and signs her to help, but Angela holds her hands up. Lola shakes her head and goes a little closer, throwing the snowball right on Jessica's shoulder.

A painful, high-scraping sound catches their attention.

That noise, a car is losing control of the ice. Lola looks up: 'Bella!' The snow falls from her hands. It's going toward her car, and Bella is still there.

Jessica startles. Lola takes a step forward and another. Jessica lays a hand on her shoulder, intending to stop her.

Lola shakes it off. She needs to help her sister. Mike holds her back, his hand on her arm. Lola looks at the car and tries to shake his hand off. He stops her from running towards her sister. 'You can't do anything', Mike says. He turns her towards him: 'The ambulance is on its way. They will be here any minute.' Lola stops moving. Tears stream down her face. He gives her a hug. He doesn't know what to say.

When he lets her go, Jessica gives Lola a tissue and looks at Angela, who comes to stand with them. Lola sees there is a van against her car. It's in horrible shape. She realises it's Tyler's.

She watches as people start to get Tyler out of the van and move it out of the way to get to her sister. All she can do is watch.

Her father arrives at the scene when they put Bella on a stretcher. She has a brace around her neck. They shove her into the ambulance and leave. Charlie follows with the police car, sirens on.

'Bella, are you ok?' Lola asks. She is relieved when she sees Bella with almost no injuries. She sits on the end of Bella's bed and looks at Tyler lying on another. 'Tyler, you look... That must...'

'...Be painful', Tyler finishes her sentence and gives her a cautious smile: 'I am so sorry about your sister.' he looks at Bella: 'I am really sorry.'

'Everything is alright, Bella says: 'Edward pulled me out of the way.'

Lola looks back at her sister. He stopped that van. Bella must have noticed something. She is so relieved that Edward did something; what if he didn't? She cannot think about it like that.

Edward walks in, and Tyler apologises to him as well.

'I am good, not blood. No harm was done.' He simply says.

'Why didn't they put you on a stretcher?' Bella asks Edward, confused and annoyed.

'Calm, Bella.' He says while laughing: 'It's about having the right connections, but I am here to save you.'

Lola smiles, looking at this.

Dr Cullen comes in; Bella looks at him. He examines her, and apparently, she is ok because he lets her go before walking over to Tyler.

The worst is over: 'Let's go home, Bella.' Lola helps Bella out of bed. Outside she sees her sister following Edward. Lola looks at where Bella is going but doesn't stop her. Maybe it is time to let her know the secret.

In the hallway, Jessica, Angela and Mike walk towards Lola.

'And?' Jessica asks.

'Bella is good. She can already go home. Tyler is ok, but I think he must stay a little longer.'

Jessica takes her hand; Angela holds her other hand.

'it's ok. I'm good.', Lola says, letting go of her friend's hands. She lays a hand on Mike's shoulder. Everything will be all right. She tries to ignore the voice in her head that says that this is only the beginning.