28 Boyfriend

It's different. Everything changed for Jonah because he is a shifter. At home, he must hide it from Jacob. They don't work on the car anymore. He doesn't, but Jacob still tries. His father knows but doesn't really talk about it.

At school, he is on his own most of the time, with Jared being with Kim. They both stay away from Paul. The only time everything feels right is when he is with Lola. Talking, laughing just like they used to. They're best friends and more now. He loves kissing her and seeing her smile at him.

Edward is driving the sisters home. Bella sits in the passenger seat beside him while Lola is in the backseat.

'This goes too far.' Edwards grumbles when he sees who is at the Swan house.

'He should know better.' Lola agrees with him while she leans forward between the two seats.

'They are here to warn Charlie?' Bella asks.

'Only Billy.' Edward says.

'Let us take care of it.' Bella says.

'That's probably for the best.' Edward mumbles: 'Just make them go inside. I'll come back this evening.'

They get out of the car: 'Hello', Bella shouts.

Lola opens the door with her keys, putting them inside her backpack: 'Come inside. I think it's going to rain.'

Jonah helps his father inside: 'Lola, I brought you some Baked fish.' Billy says.

'Thank you, my father loves his fish like this. I'll go and put it in the fridge.' She says, giving him a look which he ignores.

Jonah comes along with her: 'How was your day.' He asks her and closes the kitchen door, leaving Bella to handle the situation.

'it wasn't bad, but I wished my evening was free, so I could do something with you.'

He leans against the kitchen wall. 'What will you be doing?'

'Bella wants me to play baseball with the Cullens.'

'You know she misses you, right?'

'Besides, why does your father come to warn my father.' Lola says, trying not to judge.

'You know Charlie is his best friend.'

'Yes, but it's just... if I had wanted my father to know the truth, I would have told him myself.'

'You don't have to tell me. We just had an argument about how I let you be around them. My father says it's dangerous for you there.'

'So what did you say?' She asks, standing in front of him.

He tilts his head to look at her and wraps his arms around her. 'I told him that you could take care of yourself.' A smile forms on her face. 'Hey, I'll see you tomorrow. We can do something; your choice.' He kisses the top of her head, pulling her closer to him.

She nods. Spring break has just begun, and she needs to enjoy it.

'Father, please.' Bella says when Lola hears the doorbell. Bella goes to the hallway.

'This is important for her.' Lola reminds her father. Her sister was introducing Edward as her boyfriend. He sighs.

When Edward comes in, just after Bella. Edward holds out his hand: 'Hello, Chief Swan.'

'Edward.'

Edward grins at the other girl: 'Hello, Lola.'

Their father looks calm. This is going in the right direction. 'Edward, I heard Bella will play baseball with your family.'

'Yes, sir, she is. Lola is coming too.' Edward says, looking back at Charlie.

Charlie looks at Lola, but Bella speaks: 'Lola likes sports, Dad. I thought she would like to play baseball tonight.'

'Yes, indeed, for Lola, it makes sense to play baseball. I never thought I would see the day that you would show some interest in sports.'

'I don't think....' Lola starts to say, but Bella interrupts: 'Maybe we should go.'

'Do not be out too late, both of you.' Their dad says.

'I will bring them back on time, Charlie.' Edward says and follows Bella back outside.

Outside stands an enormous jeep. Lola attempts to get in by herself, which looks ridiculous, but she manages. Edward helps Bella to get to her seat before taking his own.

When he starts driving, Lola follows the pad they are going to until they turn to a dirt road.

Lola looks outside. The sky is cloudy. It shows it will rain, but Alice said there would be no rain in the clearing: 'Perfect weather for baseball.'