CHAPTER 4 ➣ War Remnants

Temporary barricades were set up hurriedly. Weapons and bullets of all kinds, long streaks of dried blood left by the wounded or dead soldiers, transformed the streets of Sinsu into a desolate layout of debris and death.

Y/N and Taehyung roamed around the outskirts of the half-deserted town until they found a dark hotel somehow still standing, devoid of inner lights or any signs of life. The windows were barred with anything wooden and flat, hammered on top of the broken glass. They hitched their horses at the entrance and looked up at the building.

"It's like Bolasaeg all over again," Taehyung pointed out with an eerie tone.

"I think everyone's left town," Y/N commented to herself.

Taehyung climbed the small staircase and collected a moist newspaper, probably delivered after the former owner of the hotel fled the city. He flipped it open and read out loud.

"Listen to this: Soldiers of the Western Realm join the fugitives on a race against time to flee the Emperor's latest 'rampage', redirected towards the organization called the WRA (Western Rebellion Army). An extremist group of zealous defenders, fighting for the independence of the Western Realm. They declare with adamant conviction to quote: 'Take back what is ours from the hands of the usurper, Emperor Yujin!'. Hollow words, perhaps, coming from a captured rookie of the WRA, but their threats are not used in vain, since just two days ago they brought down an Eastern Military Airship escorting war refugees north of the continent. As though this is not enough, the news of the Emperor's excessive bounty for the search of his niece and now sole heir, princess Selenya, has motivated all manner of people to find her out of desperation, which includes the WRA. Their motives behind the search for the princess remain unclear, however, authorities believe that she is now one of their primary targets. Needless to say that her life is now in mortal danger, and if the rumors of her kidnapping by the fugitives prince Jinghim and his bastard brothers are true, then it is highly feared that she may as well be dead already, or lost in the wild of either continents...," he concluded reading and exchanged a concerned look with Y/N, "WRA? Kidnapping? Haven't they got any bloody clue of what is going on?"

"I don't think they care anymore," she replied as she joined him in front of the entrance, "Besides, there's very little known about the plague and most of it is misinformation or denial. And that applies to everything. I honestly expected the Royal Agents to lie about my current situation to save themselves from the embarrassment that they let a bunch of teenagers escape them."

They broke inside finding obscure and emptied rooms. Muddy footprints of military boots, empty medical kits, corners riddled with garbage, all revealing the purpose for which the Hotel was used. They picked a room each and dropped off their belongings before heading out.

"So, shall we split up?" Y/N suggested.

"No, no, no! Absolutely not!" he refused categorically, "There's no way I'm separating from you! Splitting up around here is a hazard in itself. Besides, I'm your boyfriend!"

Y/N chuckled and blushed, "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well...I...I need to protect you!" he stuttered.

"So do I need to protect you!"

"Yeah but...I'm your boyfriend, am I not? It's a gentlemanly thing to do!"

Y/N had the faint impression that he simply wanted to hear her say it.

"You are my boyfriend, Tae! But, you are correct not to split up. It's the right thing to do, not the gentlemanly one," she asserted, her cheeks flaring up. Even after all this time, saying the word 'boyfriend' out loud for the first time, caused a flock of butterflies to erupt in her poor stomach.

Judging from Taehyung's flustered reaction, she deduced correctly. Hearing her saying it, carved a satisfied grin on his mouth.

"Well, I guess...You are my girlfriend too, so...You...You need to stay beside me, too...Always...," he cleared his throat awkwardly before heading out of the door.

The girl bit her lips and looked to the side in pleasant embarrassment. Then she interrupted his step and pinned him against the surface of the door, trapping him between her arms. He bulged his eyes in shock but then side smiled.

"You don't need to come up with such an elaborate plan to make me say what is, I think, fairly obvious, don't you think?" she said softly at a breathing distance, pressing her body against his.

He gulped nervously, "Alright then, I just wanted to hear you say it."

"I know," she came even closer and Taehyung held his breath.

He placed his palm on her cheek and looked deep into her emerald eyes. Why? Why couldn't he have her more than he already did? Is it possible to desire something which you already have?

Preceding his intention, Y/N tiptoed and kissed his lower lip, too short to reach both. The humid cold of ripe autumn felt like the soothing warmth of a mirth summer. Taehyung leaned and tilted his head, enabling them both to enclose their lips. He slip his hand behind her neck, pulled her closer, and gave in to his burning desire. She tried to keep up but ended up being overwhelmed by his natural skill, which compelled her to sit back and enjoyed the ride until she run out of breath. She gasped and parted their kiss, feeling her legs going numb.

"Shall we?" he offered his hand to her after stealing another small peck.

"Y-yeah...," she replied breathlessly, even more flustered than usual, and grabbed his hand.

He entwined his fingers with hers, they wore their breathing masks and together began walking around the barren city.

For the most part, the city was recently abandoned in a hurry. It did not take long to spot the hospital through the rubble and demolished buildings, but strange noises petrified them in their tracks.

They crouched down behind the remaining wall that once belonged to a toy store. They held each other tightly and waited for the danger to reveal itself.

Several men, dressed in casual clothes but armed to the teeth, strolled around the area.

"Hey, lads! Here are the hoofprints!" shouted one of them to others, waving.

"The WRA," whispered Taehyung, in such a low, shaky voice, that Y/N had to lean close to his face.

The girl swore under her breath.

Heavy footsteps cracked the broken tile and cement. The couple shifted their attention behind them startled. One of the soldiers of the WRA emerged from behind them. His scruffy cheek pressed against his weapon, aimed right at them.

"Don't move!" he instructed harshly.

Taehyung's and Y/N's blood froze.