CHAPTER 22 ➣ Back North

A large ferry ship glided smoothly on the oily sea, looming in from the sunlit horizon. The harbor was preparing for its docking procedures and the passengers lined up, waiting to board. Among them lingered Jimin and Seokjin, wearing their oxygen masks, holding their horses from their leashes and shivering from the cutting morning frost.

The two brothers hadn't spoken to each other for weeks. Jimin refrained from making any nasty remarks to his older brother and would limit himself to observing the gradual deterioration of Seokjin's mental and physical state.

He had lost more weight, and when he didn't have a bottle in hand, he would become irritable and cantankerous. At the moment he was simply standing there, slouching, wobbling from exhaustion and drowsiness, slowly withering away.

Their journey had proven to be the most difficult thing Jimin had ever done. He even had the faint impression that they were being followed for more than two weeks, but he assumed that it was just the fear of being caught that triggered paranoia in him.

Sometimes he wished he could just apologize to Seokjin and explain how he felt. Perhaps if there wasn't strife between them, they would collaborate to lessen the load. But his raging pride and pain would clog the words in his throat.

The ship docked with sluggish movements. The atmosphere was filled with steam blowing out of its funnel and the smell of seawater and rusty metal. The giant engine purred as the hull at the bottom brushed against the concrete harbor. A little bridge extended from the little door on its side, and crew members dressed in sailor uniforms, rushed out to collect the tickets of the passengers and carry their luggage inside.

Jimin handed their tickets to a sailor.

The man read through the papers.

"Mr. Park and Mr. Kim, destination North island of Kartas, yes?" He asked.

"That's right," Jimin answered for both.

The sailor stamped on the tickets and ripped the top side paper.

"You are in cabin 170. Please deposit your horses in the ship's stables," he requested politely and added two paper stickers on their horses, "Please proceed."

They did as they were instructed and proceeded to board the ferry. They walked alongside dozens of passengers through the narrow corridors, counting the numbers on the cabin doors. By the time Jimin unlocked the door, Seokjin barged in and instantly fell asleep on one of the beds.

"Bloody hell..." Jimin cursed under his breath.

He dropped their belongings on the floor and left the cabin, locking the door behind him. He wasn't weary enough to want to sleep, so he decided to take a walk around the ship to kill time.

The voyage to the Kartas Islands lasted eight hours. They were lucky that the sea was merciful, with little to no waves dancing gently around the hull of the ship. Jimin thought that perhaps they were finally blessed with a little fortune, so he spend his time in the restaurant area, playing cards with a group of affable men. The same men that invited him to stay at a cross road's inn they knew to be welcoming to travelers*.

(*BONUS CHAPTER ✑ Captured - PART I)

When the ship docked, Jimin rushed to wake Seokjin. He dragged him out of bed with threats and belittles, and with a staggering effort he raised him on his feet.

"We've arrived already?" Grunted Seokjin.

"Yes, now get up. I've picked up some friends along the road, they're going to lead us to an inn where we can take refuge until we decide what to do next," Jimin replied.