1 : friends

"I don't get why everyone makes such a huge deal over prom," Luke rolled his eyes, looking over at the groups of girls giggling and gossiping over who was going to prom with who. Michael shrugged, not much in the mood for talking. As the two friends walked down the corridor, they noticed people glancing at them. This was odd, due to the fact that Michael and Luke were simply unpopular. Not even the stereotypical bullies gave them the time of day.

"What're they gawking at?" Michael spoke, furrowing his eyebrows involuntarily. It was Luke's turn to shrug. He was baffled as to the growing attention he and Michael were getting.

"Probably just my sexiness," Luke wiggled his eyebrows and sexually bit his lip ring. "The lip ring turns bitches on."

"Shut up, Luke," Michael suppressed a grin. Luke always seemed to make Michael smile. Luke was just goofy like that.

Luke and Michael had to part ways for the last class of the day, which wasn't ideal for either of them. Michael was too timid around people other than Luke. And Luke didn't want people to talk to him for the simple reason that he had more secrets than anyone in the school, even the town.

Luke and Michael met up after the last bell of the day, the numerous amounts of teenage bodies pressing against one another, with the occasional shoving.

"So I've come to the conclusion that Mrs. Elmore hates me," Luke kicked a pebble that had been on the sidewalk. He and Michael always walked home together. And they usually hung out at Michael's house before Luke would actually go home. "And I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm Satan."

Michael laughed, knowing that Luke was most likely speaking the truth. Mrs. Elmore, the Photoshop teacher, was extremely nice to everyone except Luke. She was failing him. She was failing him in Photoshop class.

"I love how you're not even objectifying my statement," Luke giggled, his nose scrunching up.

"That's because I know you're right," Michael found it amusing how Luke talked all sophisticated sometimes. It was funny considering he looked like your average soon-to-be college dropout.

They approached Michael's house, the gray-looking sky causing the building to have an eerie-type feel to it. Michael opened the door, but before Luke could trail behind like usual, Michael turned and held the door a certain way that blocked Luke from coming in.

"Mikey?" Luke was confused and kind of hurt. There was never a day when Michael would just go inside without Luke. "What're you doing?"

"My parents are acting weird lately," Michael looked down at his black combat boots. The ends of the laces frayed due to the lack of aglets. "They told me they didn't want you over as much. And when I tried to tell them no, they started going on about my shit grades and how if I don't get focused on school that I'll have a shit life and a shit career and -"

"It's okay, Mikey," Luke forced a smile. "It's fine. Really. I've been meaning to catch up on TV shows, anyway."

Michael nodded. Luke nodded. Still neither of the two boys moved.

"Or I mean, mom doesn't get off work until 5:00," Michael started. "And dad is away at a conference in Dallas..."

Luke was already in the door.