7 : questions

"That's not a thing," Mrs. Clifford furrowed her eyebrows, glancing at her husband. "Right?"

"He didn't say anything about it," Mr. Clifford then noticed Michael, who was stood frozen on the bottom of the stairs. "Michael, get over here. Now."

Michael looked at Luke, who was staring at his shoes.

Luke was a vampire. Luke was a vampire. He drank people's blood. There was no way Michael had ever expected Luke to be anything other than a teenager with a perfect nose and blue eyes.

"Michael, come," Mr. Clifford urged Michael.

"I'm not a dog, dad," Michael coughed, his throat feeling dry. "What if I don't want to come?"

"He's dangerous, sweetie," Mrs. Clifford gripped onto her husband's shirt, a single tear rolling down her cheek.

"No, he's not," Michael wasn't too sure of it, but he had to believe in his best friend. "He's just Luke."

Luke looked at Michael, his expression grim. He could hear Michael's heartbeat. He was lying to himself. Luke was dangerous. He had killed too many people to count.

And yet there Michael was, standing two feet away from him, a small smile on his face.

"Michael, get over here right this minute."

"Or what?" Michael crossed his arms and looked at his parents. "What're you going to do?"

His parents remained silent.

"If I may interrupt," Luke scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. Everyone looked at him. "Could you please let me explain?"

"Explain what, demon?" Mrs. Clifford looked like she was about to start snarling at Luke.

"First off, I'm not a demon," Luke replied. "This isn't Buffy the Vampire Slayer, okay? And don't ask about any Originals either, alright? The Vampire Diaries isn't real either."

"Then what're the rules and regulations?" Michael asked, genuinely curious.

"Well, um, there are Freshies, which are the new vampires - the easiest to kill but the most inhumane - and then there are just regular vampires that have gotten more in control and whatnot," Luke explained. "And there are Classics, which are vampires that were the first of their bloodline. So pretty much the equivalent to the Originals, except they can be killed with regular stakes. They just have to be lit on fire afterwards."

Mr and Mrs. Clifford seemed to calm down once Luke started getting into it. Michael was staring at Luke's lips moving, not really paying much attention to what he was actually saying.

Damn he wears that lip ring like a pro.

"And then there's me," Luke bit his lip. "A Classic as well as a Born, which means that I was one of the first of my bloodline and I was born a vampire."

"How does that work, though?" Mrs. Clifford asked. "Don't vampires never age?"

"I didn't stop aging until my eighteenth birthday," Luke felt Michael's eyes boring on him. He didn't look. "That's when I started, uh, a different diet."

Mr and Mrs. Clifford glanced at each other before looking back to Luke.

"You're allowed to stay on one condition," Mrs. Clifford said. "No drinking blood in this house or I swear to god I will put you in a safe and drop you into the middle of the Atlantic."

"Okay, okay," Luke giggled. "No drinking blood in here. Got it."

"Go on upstairs," Mr. Clifford instructed. "No maiming."

Michael started up the stairs first, Luke following him.

Luke just couldn't keep from staring at his ass.