Guests

TW: Some gross/violent graphic content - - might scare people a little :)

I sat on the window sill, looking out to the courtyard. I wish I was back there. Sitting at the tree, reading to Abe. It was a grey windy day and Hayden was making lots of changes to the castle grounds. 

For starters, he was getting rid of certain guards and knights - - Women, guards and knights. The gardeners were ripping out the beautiful flowers and assortment of plants I had always admired in the courtyard, and the smell of delicious food from the kitchen had stopped filling the castle air. 

I stayed in my room the past few days instead of having to face Hayden. The marks from his fingers had turned into bruises and my jaw still ached a little. I jumped at the sound of my door creak open. "M'lady?" a guard asked. He looked scared and couldn't have been more than 17 years old. "T-the king requests your presence in his room," he said. 

My hand turned into a fist and I nodded my head before the boy left. I slid off the ledge and slowly walked to the door. My hand wrapped around the cold metal knob and I opened the door. I reached Abe's room, but it opened before I could pass it. 

Shit. 

He stopped and so did I. His eyes were filled with sorrow and he had dark circles under his eyes. Abe looked me up and down. "Be careful," he said, before brushing past me as though I wasn't there in the first place. 

I passed a few more doors until I reached Hayden's. I raised my fist to knock, but stopped before hitting the door. 

This could annoy him. 

My hand moved down to the handle but I hesitated again. 

This could get me in my shit too. 

So I just stood there, waiting for him to open the door. 

God it was stupid. But I didn't want anymore bruises on my body. I was fixing my posture before the door swung open aggressively and I was greeted by Hayden shirtless. He had a large scar running down his left side, and many other small ones positioned all over his torso. "You took a long time," he said, pointing to a spot on the floor in his room for me to stand at. 

"I wasn't sure if you wanted me to knock or just come in," I said as innocently as I could even though the idea of shooting him in the head crossed my mind many times. "Well that's stupid!" his voice was a little louder now. "Knock once. Once only," he said, returning back to his normal volume. 

I bowed my head and nodded. He was so easily angered. 

"Now, chose one," he said to me. I looked up curiously and found him holding two suits.

One was a deep and rich maroon colour, while the other was just black. "I like that one," I pointed to the maroon suit. "Then your dress should arrive in an hour or so," he said. 

"Dress?" I asked quietly. "I am hosting a dinner party tonight," he said, "to celebrate my new title as king of course."

He put the long sleeve black button up shirt on, staring at me through the mirror. I couldn't leave, not without his permission. 

"During this party, you will not drink," I looked at him through the mirror and met his devilish eyes, "and you will eat what I tell you to." 

"Yes," I said to him. He nodded and waved his hand, signalling that I could leave.

____________________