SLUGGISH MEMORY

_________________________________Narrator Pov

Narrator Pov

"Where's Marvolo?" Tom asked.

"Dead," said the other. "Does years ago, didn't he?"

Riddle Frowned.

"Who are you,then?"

"I'm Morfin, ain't I?"

"Marvolo's Son?"

" 'Course I am, then.."

Morfin pushed his hair out of his face, the better to see Riddle, I spotted the black stoned ring on his right hand.

"I thought you was that muggle," whispered Morfin. "You look mighty like that muggle."

"What Muggle?" Riddle Sharply said.

"The muggle what my sister took a fancy to, that muggle what lives in the big house over the way," said Morfin, and he spat unexpectedly. "You look right like him. Riddle. But he's older now, in 'e? Older'n you, now I think on it.."

He looked slightly dazed and swayed a little, clutching the table for support. "He come back, see," he added.

Voldemort was gazing at Morfin as though he was appraising his possibilities. He moved closer,
"Riddle came back?"

"Af, he left her, serve her right, marrying filth!" Said Morfin spitting again. "Robbed us, mind, before she ran off! Where's the locket, eh? Where is  the slytherin locket?"

Voldemort didn't answer him, Morfin started to rage again. "That little slut, she dishonored us. And who are you, coming here and asking questions about all that? It's over, Innit, it's over..."

He looked away, staggering slightly.

Unnatural darkness fell, extinguishing Voldemorts lamp and Morfins candle, extinguishing everything...
_________________________________

"That's all?" Harry said to Albus Dumbledore.

"Morfin couldn't  remember anything after that. When he woke up, he was lying on the floor, alone. Marvolos ring had gone.

"Meanwhile, in the village of Little Hangleton, a maid was running along the High Street, screaming that there were there bodies lying in the drawing room of the big house: Tom Ridle Senior and his mother and father."

"The Muggle authorities were perplexed. As far as I am aware,they do not know to this day how the Riddles died, for the killing curse doesnt usually leave any sign of damage.... The
exception sits before me," Dumbledore added, with a nod to Harry and Amelia's scar. "The Ministry, on the other hand, knew at once that this was a wizard's murder. They also knew that a convicted Muggle-hater lived across the valley from the Riddle house, a Muggle-hater who
had already been imprisoned once for attacking one of the murdered people."

"So the Ministry called upon Morfin. They did not need to question him, to use Veritaserum or Legilimency. He admitted to the murder on the spot, giving details only the murderer could know.   He was proud, he said, to have killed the Muggles, had been awaiting his chance all these years. He handed over his wand,
which was proved at once to have been used to kill the Riddles.And he permitted himself to be led off to Azkaban without a fight."

"All that disturbed him was that his fathers ring had disappeared. He kept on telling his captors,'he will kill me for losing it,' and that was all he ever said again, and lived his remainder of his life in Azkaban, and is now buried alongside the other poor souls who have also expired within its walls."

"Voldemort stole his wand and used it?" Asked Harry, as he and Amelia sat up straight.
__________________________________

Harry and Amelia looked around as Dumbledore appeared beside him and soon realized that they were standing in Slughorn's office. Half a dozen boys were sitting around Slughorn, all on harder or lower seats than his, and all in their mid-teens.

Harry and Amelia  recognized Voldemort at once.
His was the most handsome face and he looked the most relaxed of all the boys.

Amelia saw that he was wearing Marvolo's gold-
and-black ring: so he had already killed his father.

"Sir, is it true that Professor Merrythought is retiring?" he asked.

"Tom, Tom, if I knew I couldn't tell you," said Slughorn, waging a reproving, sugar-covered finger at Riddle, though ruining the effect slightly by winking. "I must say, I'd like to know where
you  get your information, boy, you're more knowledgeable than half the staff, you are."
________________________________

"Looking sharp Tom, you dont wanna be caught out of bed after hours." Young Slughorn said. "Something on your mind, tom?"

"Yes, sir." Tom answered. "You see,I couldn't think of anyone else to go to. The other professors,well,there not like you. They might misunderstand.."

"go on.."

"I was in the library the other night,In the restricted section and I read something rather odd about this other type of magic,and I thought you could illuminate me.  its called, as I understand it.."

It started to glitch.

"I DONT know anything about such thing,and if I did,I wouldn't tell you!Get out of here at once!and don't  let me catch you mentioning it again!"

And then they got pulled out,

"confused?" Dumbledore asked. "i would be surprised if you weren't."

"what happened?" Harry asked.

"This perhaps,is the most important memory I have collected." Dumbledore said simply. "it is also a lie. the memory has been tampered with.. by the same person who's memory it is, our old friend..

"Professor Slughorn."

"why would he tamper his own memory?" Harry asked

"I suspected he's ashamed of it,"

"why?" Harry and Amelia asked in union.

"why,indeed.i asked you to get to know Slughorn,and you have done so." Dumbledore said. "Now I want you to persuade him to divulge his true memory..any way you can."

Harry and Amelia looked at each other and she shook her head at him.

"You don't really need us," Amelia said. "You could use Legilimency or Veritaserum."

"Yes, and we both don't know him that well, sir." Harry said.

"But this memory is everything..without it,we are blind." Dumbledore said. "without it,we leave the fate of our world to chance.Ya'll have no choice..you two must not fail. Everyone is counting on you."