VOLDEMORTS REQUEST

Warnings:
mentions of robbery and death

Narrator Pov"Help yourself, Tom," said Hepzibah, "I know how you love my cakes

Narrator Pov
"Help yourself, Tom," said Hepzibah, "I know how you love my cakes. Now, how are you? You look pale. They overwork you at that shop, I've said it a hundred times."

Voldemort smiled mechanically and Hepzibah simpered.
"Well, what's your excuse for visiting this time?" she asked, batting her lashes.
"Mr. Burke would like to make an improved offer for the goblin-made armor," said Voldemort. "Five hundred Galleons, he feels it is more than fair."
"Now, now, not so fast, or l'Il say you're only here for my trinkers!" pouted Hepzibah.

"I am ordered here because of them," said Voldemort quietly. "I am only a poor assistant, madam , who must do as he is told. Mr Burke wishes me to inquire-"

Oh. Mr. Burke, phooey!" said Hepzibah, waving a little hand. "I have something to show you that I've never shown Mr. Burke! Can you keep a secret, Tom? Will you promise you won't tell Mr. Burke, Ive got it? He'd never let me rest if he knew I'd shown it to you, and I'm not selling, not to Burke, not to anyone! But you, Tom, you'll appreciate it for its history, not how many Galleons you can get for it."

"I will be glad to see anyching Miss Hepzibah shows me,"said Voldemort quietly, and Hepzibah gave another girlish giggle.

"I had Hokey bring it out for me.... Hokey, where are you? I want you to show Mr. Riddle our finest treasure.... In fact, bring both, while you're at it.

"Here, madam,"squeaked the house-elf, and Harry saw two leather boxes, one on top of the other, moving across the room.
_________________________________
"A badger," murmured Voldemort, examining the engraving. "Then this was... "

Hepzibah was showing Tom a small golden cup with two finely wrought handles.

"Helga Hufflepuff's, as you very well know, you clever boy!" She said. "Didnt I tell you I was distantly descended? This has been handed down the family for years and years.

_________________________________

The elf obediently took the boxed cup, and Hepzibah turned her attention to the much flatter box in her lap.
"I think you'll like this even more, Tom," she whispered. "Lean in a little, dear boy, so you can sec. . . . Of course, Burke knows I've got this one, I bought it from him, and I daresay he'd love to get it hack when I'm gone..."

She slid back the fine filigree clasp and flipped open the box. There upon the smooth crimson velvet lay a heavy golden locket.

Voldemort reached out his hand, without invitation this time, and held it up to the light, staring at it.

"Slytherin's mark," he said quietly, as the light played upon an ornate, serpentine S.