Chapter 6: Persephone Estrada

I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome. I think that's what worries me the most. That one day Alpha is just going to say, 'pack your bags and go. You've been here too long.' My childhood memories are filled with gatherings, big or small. The random dinners or nights over at my grandparents. 

Greeting neighbors and strangers off the side of the road as they walked into my home to be served a hot dinner and freshly baked apple strudel for dessert. But it was me who had doubts about whether I was welcome. 

I was young surrounded by adults who were all making references to situations I didn't understand. I would never find a seat at the table, so I would eat in my bedroom while the party continued downstairs. My parents would usually fall asleep on the couch, leaving me to clean up.

I'm not saying they were bad parents.

But just like everyone else, they are human, and they have their flaws and faults. They knew exactly how, even without realizing it, to make me feel left out. Looking back, I know that no matter what they had done, I would have felt the same. 

Just a young kid it took a toll on me. I can see that in my life even now, twenty years later. I am worried about overstaying, over-hearing conversations, and being in the way. It's another reason I'm afraid to meet the MC women and men. It's not only because I'm afraid of men. 

They have their own lives and group that I have no idea how to adapt to. I have no idea what most of the MC world is like, and if I walk into the bar or warehouse, I'm going to be entering a world that is completely unknown to me. With people who already know so much. I mean, Alpha grew up in this life while I was so far from it that I had no idea they existed.

"Is it good?"

"Delicious."

I feel his shimmering eyes on me, and I glance back at him to meet his gaze.

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize, I don't mind."

"Neither do I."

He cheekily smirks at me before taking a final sip of his orange juice and getting off his stool.

"I can wash the dishes."

"No. I got it."

"You cooked, I clean."

"I know, but I can do it."

"Alpha...don't test me. I am capable of washing a couple of dishes. I'm sure you have stuff to do before your parents get here."

"But Seph-"

"Alpha."

"Alright, alright. Thank you."

With a short yet sweet kiss on the head, he moves into the living room, the vacuum soon running on the hardwood floors. I bend down my head, curtains of my hair blocking out the rest of the world as I rinse the dishes to load in the dishwasher, the hot water running over my soft hands. 

I smile. The reason is completely unknown to me but the bubbles of joy inside my chest could not be contained. To try and hide it, I bite my bottom lip, but it breaks quickly. Why should I try to hide it anyway? I'm free to do as I please. I know Alpha wouldn't stop me from doing anything unless it was dumb or dangerous. 

I haven't been so explicitly happy in such a long time that I kind of forgot what it felt like. The weight on my shoulders has lifted, my body feels brighter, the world is easier to survive. And with all the reasons not to be happy, I am glad that I have found a place that I can be. That I can just let myself live.