Chapter 29: King Osborn

The ride to the bar is quick and easy. I can hear Poppy's laugh before I've even turned off the motorcycle. Persephone squirms behind me, turning me on, but I know that now is definitely not the time. It may calm her nerves though. No, King, shut the fuck up. 

She clumsily gets off the back, per usual, and I try not to chuckle at her. That would not help. She looks so cute though. Oh god, I should get myself together before heading in there for a serious meeting. I take her helmet from her small hands and wrap one arm around her shoulders. 

I tug her body close to mine, pushing open the bar door, and hearing hollers from the men around us. I set the helmets down on the bar, Whiskey asking if either of us want anything to drink. I don't get the chance to respond, a red-headed woman knocking straight into me. 

Poppy is always doing that. I no longer feel Seph until my hold, causing me to pick my head up to find her. Slicker has already pulled her into a hug. She doesn't look uncomfortable, so I turn my attention back to Pops.

"How are you going?"

"I'm so sorry, Alpha. I'm a terrible person for letting them try to hurt you."

She releases herself from my arms, and I see tears coating her cheeks.

"Oh gosh, Pops. You don't have to worry. Everyone is okay."

"Well, a guy is dead, so clearly something happened!"

Slicker lays a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"She's right. We are sorry. There are so many other decisions we could have made, but we decided to ignore the issue. That caused the problems to start happening here."

"Neither of you have to apologize. My girl is healing, and it's not like we haven't killed people before."

"You aren't in trouble right?"

"Hell no. As far as the police are concerned, they feel it has nothing to do with them."

I tell them one more time to stop apologizing and scan the room for my girl again.

"Hey, Poppy. Why don't you spend some time getting to know Persephone while Alpha and I talk?"

"Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?"

She hasn't lost her fire. I don't think she ever will.

"Babe."

"Oh, fuck no."

"Please. You can't know everything."

"Alpha changed that here, I don't know why you can't."

"You know exactly why."

"Because you like it."

"Poppy..."

"Fuck you."

She storms away and asks Whiskey for a beer.

"Is something going on between you two?"

Not so honeymoon anymore.

"She's feeling restricted in her voice. And she is. But after what happened when I tried to change that before, I can't have more people getting hurt because of it."

"But it's not only your woman who is. Poppy could get over it, we know that. It's not just about her though. We need to start ushering in a new era for women, whether it's in an MC or not. I think it's important we do our part in granting women equality, in any situation, and we have the power to do it."

"I know, I know we do, but-"

"No. There are no arguments against that. Your dad was a sexist asshole, don't be like him. Don't make excuses and change the traditions, Slicker."