Chapter 12: King Osborn

Right After Leaving the House

My motorcycle rumbles under me, small vibrations radiating up my legs. I'm sure that this is less of an emergency than Bear made it seem. He doesn't do that often, only when he wants to get me off my ass, and I know that I have been distancing myself because of Persephone. I just can't quite help it. 

But I also know that he might not be exaggerating with his call, and I should be prepared to handle any situation that may have come up. These are the times that I wish I had someone to talk business with, even if they don't agree with me. 

Having to make decisions all alone, especially when people's lives could be in your hands, is difficult to do. One of these days, I'm going to find my person. Since they aren't here yet, I will have to face whatever's coming alone, even if it isn't a real emergency, there's going to be an intervention.

I spot about twelve motorcycles parked in the bar lot, and I have a grandiose sigh. I know what this is now. Emergency, there would be more bikes. After parking, I swing my leg over the back fluidly, having done it so many times that I don't think my muscles can ever forget the motion. I straighten myself out, rolling my head in a single rotation to stretch out. 

If I'm going to do this, it's got to be with an open mind to what they have to say. I'm sure there has to be logical reasoning for pulling me out of my home with my favorite person on the planet to have a meeting with them. I walk inside to find something entirely different waiting for me.

"What the fuck is this?

"Your congrats party!"

"What in the hell does that mean, Bullet?"

"For finding your Old Lady. Your mom told us all about the girl, and we just wanted to congratulate you."

"And welcome you to the club."

"Thank you, Reaper, I almost forgot about that part."

He only grunts in reply to Bullet, but my mind whirls. What has my mother done? Look, I love her, I do, but I cannot believe she would do something like this. Is she that desperate for me to get married and have babies? This is still my life. 

And yes, I do and can picture myself having a future with Persephone. Maybe it won't be the whole white-picket-fence type of thing, but something similar. This isn't how I want it though. I want it to be on my terms, our terms, with us making our own not influenced decisions.

"I hate to disappoint you all, but it's not official and it probably won't be for a while."

"Does she not like you or something?"

"I don't know the answer to that question, Whiskey, but what I do know is that she's been through a lot. More than I can imagine. This means I'm going to take things slow."

"You say that now. But once you get together, I say you marry in three weeks."

"That might be how it worked for you, Reaper, but there are some things we need to work out first."

"So why did your mom say anything?"

"Because she wants us to get together, like now."

"Oh..."

"Yeah."

I can feel the pressure of the eyes on me, and I get Major to hand a cold beer over to me.

"Can I go home to Fiona now?"

"No, Reaper! We have to gossip."

"But Poison-"