Chapter 22: Persephone Estrada

I know that King is strong. One of the strongest people to exist. But I'm worried for him. That's stupid, isn't it? There's nothing for me to worry about. Except that he left pretty damn early this morning - according to his note since I won't wake up for anything - and he hasn't been back even after four hours that he said he would be. 

It's noon now. I've been waiting and hoping everything is okay because, selfishly, I don't want to have to go search for him. It's so wrong of me to be worried about myself when I'm also worried that King could be in serious trouble. 

I bite my lower lip, chewing it while I stare out the kitchen window into the woods. What's wrong with me? All my worry is so freaking stupid. I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm sure that King is fine, I'm sure that everything is just fine. He could be hurt or lonely or sad. 

I think I'm going to have to go. I can't sit around here and wait for something to ease my worry.

I change into clothes more appropriate for the outside world, jeans and a t-shirt, and walk into the garage. I grab the keys for the Jeep, use the door and seat to push myself into the car, and begin the drive into town. 

My hands grip the wheel tightly, my eyes flicking over the road constantly, my body leaning slightly forward. I see motorcycles parked in front of the bar, music flowing out from the doors which briefly swing open when two bikers I saw at the lake before walk out of the bar. 

I think the names are Bear and Vegas, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. I wonder if they know where King might be. However, they are gone by the time I park and get out of the car. I really don't want to wait in the car before someone else walks out. That's a bit creepy anyway.

I'm not sure where the courage came from. Maybe from the fact that I know that I am stronger than I think I am, or that I know that I'm not going to get hurt with King's men around me, or that I know King's hurt and I need to find him, but it doesn't matter. 

I pull the doors open, the smell of hamburgers and ice cream fills my nose. Four heads turn to me, and I flinch back as they stand up out of the chairs when they recognize me. I step back towards the door while holding my hands in a surrender position. 

Slasher, I think that's his biker name, lifts his hand in front of his body and leaves it dangling out in the air for me to take. I slowly step forward, my heart skipping beats as I stumble. I slide my hand into his and let him steady me. Once he has, he lets me go and guides me to the seat he was sitting in - all without a word.

"Is everything alright, Ms. Estrada?"

"Oh...oh, call me Persephone. I-I am looking for Alpha."

"He was here around her somewhere a moment ago. I think he went back to his office at the warehouse."

"Alright, thank you...Slasher, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Persephone."

"Right, I apologize."

"No, no need. I'll go search him out."

"We can just give him a call. He'll be here any second."

"But I don't want to-"

"It's really not that big of a deal. I'm sure he needs to eat some lunch anyway."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Plus, all of us want to get to know you better."

One of the other men steps away from our grouping, raising his phone up to his ear. His name is Tank I'm pretty sure. It doesn't take long for him to get off the phone and for them to all begin talking to me eccentrically.