Saving Sean

I never thought I'd be saving another kid a year later. I've been keeping tabs on Owen. He's doing well. He won't accept any family of his own. Rejecting other prospects. And he's forcing everyone to call him by his last name as he wears a suit. It's cute, but I fear that his mother's death has made him grow up so quickly.

But my problem on hand is this little boy about the same age as Owen.

Last week I saw this cute blond headed boy running fearfully into a abandoned house. So I've been watching all week.

It's none of my business really. But I can't help it. He's skittish and skinnier than he should be. He only goes to his abandoned house, the library and into the local supermarket.

He's about to be caught stealing if he goes there again. So I must get him now before the horrible foster system gets him. The foster fostercare system is seventy percent bad parents. I couldn't let any kid go into it if I could say otherwise. So it's now or never.

I walk up the rotten porch carefully. Even skipping a few of the steps. Then I push open the broken door and call into the small house.

"Hello? My name is Sang, I'm here to help you buddy. Where are you at?"

I know he is hidden under the bathroom sink. I heard him scramble as I walked onto the steps. Loud enough for him to hear me. But sometimes it's best to let them come to you. In this cases, waiting him out will make him more likely to trust me. Even children have boundaries. So I only take a few steps inside before sitting down on the dirty floor.

I may feel gross here, but I can't help but think of how this child feels since what he considers home.

This poor boy. Living in this condition. It isn't healthy. It seems like his family just took off without him. Thats so heartbreaking.

I spend hours talking to him indirectly. Trying to slowly coax him out of hiding. I talk about the Academy and their rules. And that you can make you're own family.

Right after I finish telling him that family comes first and that you never have to worry about being left behind, he sticks his head out and speaks softly.

"Really? They won't weave me? Never ever?"

I smile softly at him. Pained that his eyes hold so much hope in my next words. The fact someone would leave their kid behind in this dumpster of a house breaks my heart.

"Yeah buddy, you'll never be left behind ever again. You can make you a family and keep them forever and ever. Can I take you there?"

"I mean, if I knew you was twis pwetty, I woulda let you take me soowner. But yeah! Let's go now!! I want my own family! I'll never ever ever let them weave. I won't never weave them either!" He said as he looked up at me with big green eyes and a crooked smile.

I stood up slowly then took his hand before leading him out of the house.

💗♾

On the way to the Academy I learned that his name is Sean Green, he wanted to be a doctor so he could wear the cool white coat. I made sure to tell him he would be the best doctor ever.

Sean smiled so much on our ride. I smiled right back. I have a feeling that him and Owen would be night and day. But they just might be perfect together.

"Hey buddy, I have this friend I brought here a while back. He's actually looking for a family himself. His name is Owen Blackbourne. But he's telling everyone to call him Mr. Blackbourne. You should meet him." I say with a small smile.

"Weally!? Then imma make sure all the ladies call me Dr. Green!!"

I laugh at his bright smile.

💗♾

I walk around my car to the passenger seat. Glad I kept a carseat since rescuing Owen.

I open the door and unbuckle Sean before lifting him into my arms. He snuggles into my body as I shut the door and walk up the steps to the office doors.

"I'll miss you Sang. Will I see you again? Can you be part of my family too?" He whimpers into my ear.

I suppress my tears at his words. I have to choose my words carefully. I don't want him to think I don't want him like his family. But I also can't be apart of his academy family.

I pause a moment before speaking.

"Sean, if I could stay with you, I would. I will always be watching you. But I'm not apart of the Academy.  I shouldn't even know about them. Plus, you're heart is so big, you deserve to have a big family that can stay with you forever buddy. I'm not leaving you behind. But you're leaving me to have a better future. Okay? One day I may even see you in that doctor's coat."

I hear his sniffles and feel his tears damping my shirt. I fight back tears as I walk through the doors.

"I'm glad you found me Sang."

"Me too buddy. Me too." I reply as I walk to the lady in the lobby desk.

I smile softly at her before saying, "Try to put him into the Blackbourne team first", before handing Sean over to her. She reaches to take him but he tries to hold onto me.  His small body isn't strong enough. The lady is trying to calm him down as I turn to leave.

As I walk out of the nondescript building,  I can hear his cries and shouts, yelling that he needs me. And it takes every single ounce of strength not to go back in there and scoop him back into my arms.

I promised to make sure that both Sean and Owen are okay. Because something in my heart needs them to be okay. They deserve to be happy. And hopefully they can be happy together and make themselves their own family. A family who needs them and cherishes them. Because after the pain they have suffered, they honestly deserve the best life they could possibly have.

So later that night I cried for the two little boys who deserved better from this cruel world. I cried for them to find peace and love. I cried for not being able to do more and better for them.

Nobody deserves pain. But they had to endure pain at such young ages, that now it'll form and attach to who they become when they're older. And I can only hope that having their own Academy family will soothe those wounds into making them stronger and better.