|| nightmares ||

You're shaking and sobbing as you wake up from your latest nightmare. Kaneki's sleeping form moves and soon his arms are on you.

"What happened," he asks, sleep lacing his words but the concern in his tone is clear.

"I-I had the dream again."

A look of understanding floods his features and soon, he is holding you in his arms, running his fingers through your hair and whispering soothing words and sweet nothings into your ear. When you feel a little better, you shakily reocunt the events that transpired in your dream.

"It was that night all over again Ken," you whisper, "the night those goddamn monsters killed them."

He says nothing, he's still rubbing your back and nodding to let you know he's listening.

"The day those fucking ghouls took everything away from me."

He knows how much ghouls terrified you.

After all, he was just like you once, but that was before Rize.

Because he knows this, he cannot say anything, he does not want to jeopardize your relationship.

He loves you too much to do so.

That is why, he'll keep up his human facade. He'll hunt under your nose. He'll keep everything a secret from you. He wants to make as many happy memories with you as possible. He wants to be as happy with you as possible until the day you inevitably find out.

"I'll protect you from them, (Name), don't worry."

"I love you Kaneki Ken."

"I love you more."

Sometimes, there are things better left unsaid.