|| ashes (2) ||

"It was a stroke of luck that I met you Haise," you spoke quietly.

Haise nodded his grey eyes regarded you silently. His fingers clenched, holding on to the fabric of his slacks so tightly it might have ripped.

"You told me that you didn't mind being second place in my heart."

He nods, Haise is considerate enough to let you finish your spiel. He continues on wih his mask of tolerance, even though he wants nothing more than to take your hand, kiss you tenderly, say a million "I love you's" into your ears as many times as it would take. Just so that you wouldn't go. Just to keep you by his side.

"But I couldn't bear it," you croak.

And he can't help but reach out and try to brush your tears away with his finger but you refuse his touch, gently pushing his hand away.

"I'm sorry but I couldn't use you like that."

And as much as you try to stop it. Your tears can't help but flow down your cheek. Haise closes his eyes, trying to tune out your sobs, trying to keep himself from holding you. But he can't, as much as he wants to- he respects your feelings too much.

He knew that when he had entered this relationship with you, he would be seen as nothing but a replacement. He didn't know who this Kaneki Ken was and he didn't want to know.

That name.

It unnerved him. It gave him nothing but a horrible feeling at the pit of his stomach.

"You deserve someone better. You need to be with someone who's going to treat you right."

"You deserve someone who isn't me."

"I'm sorry, Haise. I'm sorry for having used you like this."

When you are done, he nods slowly.

"I-I underatand," Haise holds out his hand.

And you don't take it. He watches you slowly shake your head, tears continually streaming down your eyes.

"I want a clean break."

He nods slowly and he stands up, walking away from you. It takes everything in him not to break down too. He needed to be strong.

And so as he walked into the sunny streets, he seems to notice the voice in his head whisper again.

"Why did you let her go?"

"She wasn't yours to let go of."

"She was mine."

"Those tears weren't yours to be shed."

"Why do you have to ruin everything, Haise?"

"Give me back my body."

"Give her back to me."