|| ashes (1) ||

Prompt: I distinctly remember "hai" has a kanji for ash. Unfortunately, the kanji for ash is 灰 not the one used in Haise's name which is 琲. But just bear with me for this one, okay? It's actually a cute little wordplay I thought up. The Japanese language is really interesting. For this oneshot I thought of Haise and how his relationship with the other people he cared for as Kaneki had been burned away. (Get me so far?) But I think, there's like this part of Haise that is still Kaneki and he cares for those people even though he doesn't realize it and it's noted that Haise retains the caring part of Kaneki. I thought that while Kaneki has been 'burned away' and Haise is someone that is kind of entirely new, but even though he is kinda gone, Kaneki is still there. I'm weird I apologize. But I hope you guys get it.

This prompt thing was supposed to show you guys how I thought up this oneshot and in a sense you guys are in the front row seat to seeing how weird I am. TTATT I'm sorry. But I'll be doing this prompt things for all of the oneshots I'll be doing. Hope you guys don't mind. :)

-

You're walking through the streets of Tokyo, hands aching for the familiar warmth of the silver haired boy you loved so much. It's been days since Anteiku had been shut down and devoid of your love and your usual spot you have trouble looking for a new place to unwind.

Home wasn't an option. It was somewhere you slept, changed clothes, showered, and studied at. Your mind flits over to your dingy little apartment, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, with a wan light illuminating everything, a little coffee table in the middle of the room, a small kitchen, a medium sized bookshelf, and your loving boyfriend reading a book. You shake your head.

Lately, it seemed as if Kaneki had been dominating your mind, even more so than the usual. It was normal for Kaneki to disappear for long periods of time. You shudder to think of the incident with the Aogiri Tree. How Touka had suddenly appeared in your shared apartment (with Kaneki) to tell you that your lover was gone, taken by those horrid ghouls. You remember his return. How he had arrived so suddenly, with his snow white hair and his fingernails- black as night, you knew his appearance wasn't the only thing that was different. You could see it from the way he carried himself. Gone was the naive, sweet, and innocent boy you had loved, in his place stood a confident ghoul, who now utilized his true strength. Though that hadn't impeded your relationship, the fact that he had now been even more secretive, worried you to no end.

Now, he was gone again.

"I'm different now (Name)," he lifts up your face with both his hands so you are looking into his eyes, those beautiful, beautiful eyes you could get lost in for days, "I'm not the same as I was before. I can take care of myself now."

"But-"

"Please don't worry yourself too much," he smiles as he wipes away the tears from your eyes. "I'll be back before you know it."

You feel fresh tears cascade down your face as you remember the last day you had spent together.

"You're a liar, Kaneki Ken."

You are too wrapped up in your own thoughts that you don't notice a certain man, with his nose buried in a book headed straight toward you.

Apparently, fate had a cruel sense of humor.

Fin (?)