*2*

"Your group's orientation starts in forty-five minutes. Join them in conference room Twenty on Deck One. Don't forget," the same announcer voice spoke. Hyunjin was currently had been awoken by the voice. He quickly took a shower got dressed in black jeans and a simple white shirt and vans.

DECK FOUR - SHOPPING DISTRICT

A mall with tiled floors and ornate storefronts. Hyunjin walks along Storefront signs flicker to life as he passes. A dry fountain gushes water at his approach.

DECK ONE - CONFERENCE ROOM TWENTY

Forty chairs around a big table. A large screen on the wall. A digital INSTRUCTOR, a woman of middle age, waits with a computer's infinite patience. Hyunjin walks in. The door slides closed behind him.

"Hello, passengers. Will you all please take a seat.," The video instructor says.Hyunjin looks around. He's the only one there. He sits." Earth is a thriving planet. It is said to be the cradle of civilization. A world with a vast and illustrious past. It is, however, overcrowded for many. Over-priced. Overrated. Overrun," Behind the Instructor, video clips of Earth's urban sprawl: an endless gleaming metropolis glittering with traffic.

Hyunjin confused raises his hand slightly, "Can I just-,"

"No questions until the end, please," The video instructor says cutting Hyunjin off.

"Wait. Where are all the other-," Hyunjin spoke but was yet again cut off from the instructor.

"The Colonies offer an alternative. A better way of life," The screen fills with shots of Homestead II: aerial footage of mountains, beaches, beautiful garden cities. "And none is more beautiful than

Homestead II, the Jewel of the Occupied Worlds,"

ONE HOUR LATER

Hyunjin sits wearily, chin propped on his hand. The Video Instructor chatters on. Inspiring footage of Homestead II. "Thriving job markets in mining, farming and manufacturing. An explosion in the cultural arts. And if you long for the life less civilized, you can apply for a pioneer permit and seek your fortune in the wild," The instructor pauses. "Any questions?" she smiles.

"Where IS everybody?!," Hyunjin practical explodes. The instructor pauses. The question seems to confuse her.

"We're all on the Starship Excelsior. Five thousand passengers and fifty- eight crew members," The video instructor replies.

"But I'm the only one awake," Hyunjin says.

"No, all the passengers wake up at the same time,"

"Then something's wrong with the other hibernation pods," Hyunjin respond.

"Hibernation pods are fail-safe," The instructor says.

"So why am I the only one here?" Hyunjin questioned.

"I'm sorry. I don't understand your question," The video instructor stated.

GRAND CONCOURSE

Hyunjin finds an INFOMAT - an information kiosk. A banner scrolls

Across the screen: ASK ME A QUESTION! Hyunjin taps the screen. "Hello! What's your question?" The informant asked in an insanely cheerful tone.

"I need to talk to a person. A real live person," Hyunjin says, a serious tone lacing his words.

"What sort of person? Personal trainer? Travel planner? Therapist?" The informant asks.

"Someone in charge,"

"The Ship Steward handles passenger affairs. You can find him in his office on the Service Deck," On the screen a dotted line on the map shows how to get there.

"Thank you," Hyunjin smiled making his way to the service desk.

"Happy to help!" the informant says.

SERVICE DECK - CORRIDOR

Hyunjin appears around the corner. The lights brighten, the ventilation kicks up a notch. He finds a door marked SHIP STEWARD.

SHIP STEWARD'S OFFICE

The lights flash on as Hyunjin enters, revealing...an office in mothballs. Empty chairs, barren desks.

"Not good," Hyunjin says in a whisper, panic settling in.

ELEVATOR LOBBY

Another Infomat. Hyunjin arrives at a jog.

"Hello! What's your quest-?"

"Who's flying the ship?" Hyunjin questions cutting the machine off.

"The bridge crew includes the Captain, the Pilot, the Chief Navigator," The informant tries continuing to list people but gets cut off my Hyunjin is still panicking.

"The captain. I want to talk to the captain,"

"The captain rarely handles passenger queries directly," The infomat states.

"It's an Emergency, please, okay? Where is he?" Hyunjin asks.

"The captain is usually found on the Bridge, on the Command Deck," Like before a helpful map shows the way. Hyunjin races off.

COMMAND DECK

Hyunjin finds the door to the Bridge. He opens it eagerly - only

to find a second door behind it - an armoured hatch labelled FIREWALL and SECURE ACCESS AREA. A porthole of thick glass gives a narrow view of the Bridge. It's deserted. Instrument lights gleam in the dark.

"Come on! What the hell is happening," Hyunjin shouted pounding on the hatch.

THREE - CAFE COURTYARD

Hyunjin runs past restaurants, lounges, shops. All deserted

"Hello? Hello!," Hyunjin yells in a panic.yyunjin shouts

SERVICE DECK - CELESTIAL PROMENADE

The highest promenade on the ship: windows on all sides. The skylight just overhead. It's almost like being outside. The atrium plunges seven stories to the Concourse below.

Hyunjin shouts several more "Hello's," each echoing down multiple halls. A sound behind him makes him spin. His face drops when he noticed it is just a window- washer robot with long spindly limbs. It moves past Hyunjin, polishing windows. Oblivious. A sign catches Hyunjin's attention: "OBSERVATORY - Your Place in the Universe."

OBSERVATORY

Hyunjin enters the planetarium of the future: theatre seats facing a holographic "stage." In the hologram an image of the starship hangs in space. Glowing text reads "Look through the eyes of the Starship Avalon!" Hyunjin goes to the control podium. Touches the screen.

"What can I show you," The observatory voice booms, deeper than the ocean.

"We're supposed to land pretty soon, but it looks like I'm the only one awake. Is that normal?" Hyunjin questions.

"I don't understand. What can I show you?"

Impatiently Hyunjin says "Show me Homestead II," In the hologram the planet Homestead II, Earths twin sister.

"II is the fourth planet in the Bhakti system,"

"Right. And how soon are we landing?" Hyunjin asked

"Approximately ninety years," the deep voice of the observatory said.

"What?" Hyunjin asked the look of fear and terror taking over his face.