*7*

DECK NINE - OBSERVATORY - DAY

In a hologram: The Avalon's progress diagram. The Avalon hangs between Earth and Homestead II. A legend reads: "TIME TRAVELED: 30 YEARS. TIME REMAINING: 90 YEARS. "Hyunjin stands watching. The numbers change with a digital click. TIME TRAVELED: 31

YEARS. TIME REMAINING: 89 YEARS.

CONCOURSE BAR - MORNING

Hyunjin walks up to the bar with the HIBERNATION SYSTEMS MANUAL. Drops the book on the bar with a thud and takes a seat "Felix. Say you were trapped on a desert island, and you had the power to wish somebody there with you. You wouldn't be alone anymore, but you'd be stranding another person on the island. Would you make the wish?" Asked Hyunjin

"I don't know. I've never been on an island," was Felix' response.

"Okay. Say you figured out how to do something that would make your life a hundred times better. But it's wrong, and there's no taking it back. How wrong would it have to be to stop you? I mean, what if it made your life a thousand times better? How do you do the math?" Hyunjin asked.

"Hyunjin These are not robot questions," Hyunjin stares at Felix in frustration.

"I know how to wake up Y/n," Hyunjin spells it out for Felix.

"Sounds like a fine idea. You could use some company," Felix smiles.

"I'd be stranding her on this ship for the rest of her life!" Hyunjin exclaimed.

"Oh. Well, you can't do that," Felix said concerned. Hyunjin buries his face in his hands.

"What am I going to do?" Hyunjin sighed.

"Hyunjin. I'm here for you," Felix smiled.

Hyunjin looked up, "Felix you're a machine,". Hyunjin hauled the manual off the bar top and stalked away.

STARSHIP AVALON

The ship forges through space, its lit windows shining. Hyunjin paces back and forth on a promenade, a tiny figure dwarfed by the mighty ship and the tapestry of stars.

DECK TWO - HALL OF FAITH - DAY

Hyunjin passes under a sign reading "Hall of Faith," into a circular walk. There's a small fountain in the middle of the circle. Around the edges, doors labelled: BUDDHISM, JUDAISM, HINDUISM, CHRISTIANITY, ISLAM, OTHER FAITHS. Hyunjin walks the circle, looking through the doorways: a cross, a Buddha, an abstract sculpture in the "Other Faiths" chapel. He continues around the circle and out into the ship.

DECK FOUR - STARBOARD E.V.A. ROOM

Hyunjin opens a door marked "Starboard E.V.A. Room – No Passengers Beyond This Point!" The E.V.A. Room is dominated by an airlock. Spacesuits in racks. Tools, tethers, shuttle docking rings. Hyunjin goes to the airlock. Opens the inner door. A BUZZER sounds a warning. He steps into the airlock. The door closes behind him. Hyunjin looks at the red lever that opens the outer door. He grips the lever. Looks thoughtfully out at the stars.

STARSHIP EXCELSIOR - STARBOARD AIRLOCK

The airlock outer door opens with a blast of air. Hyunjin emerges from the airlock - wearing a space suit. He plants his feet on the hull and walks up the side of the hip on magnetic boots.

ATOP THE SHIP

Hyunjin walks forward across the giant skylight.

AT THE BOW

Hyunjin stands, face uplifted. The cosmos reflected in his visor. Raises his arms. Imploring the heavens for an answer. But no answer comes. His lifted arms fall.

HIBERNATION BAY - Y/N' S POD

Hyunjin stands looking at Y/n: a bearded pilgrim in a holy place.

BERLIN SUITE - BATH - DAY

Hyunjin stands at the sink with a futuristic shaver in his hand. He talks to himself as he takes off his castaway's beard. "I'm shaving off my beard," Hyunjin tells his reflection. "It's wrong, man,". The whiskers pile up in the sink, wash down the drain. His face emerges from its mask. "Seriously wrong. You can't do it," He's finished. Clean-shaven. Beard-less Hyunjin started back at his reflection. He had shaved his beard off that he had for year but decided to keep the long hair. He tied his hair back into a small ponytail.

CORRIDOR

Hyunjin exits his cabin in his overalls, carrying his toolbox. He finds a squadron of housekeeping robots waiting outside. He taps the "PLEASE SERVICE" button beside his door. The robots zoom inside with squeals of joy.

HIBERNATION BAY – Y/N'S POD

Hyunjin stands in front of Y/n: toolbox in one hand, the technical manual in the other. He's breathing hard. He sets the toolbox down. Opens the manual. It's densely annotated in Hyunjin's handwriting. He opens the pod's cover panel and goes to work, following the steps in his manual. His hands shake. He starts to close a final contact. Stops. Gets to his feet. Stands looking at Y/n. Quickly he kneels and completes the circuit. Pulls his hands way as if the metal had burned him. "Okay," Hyunjin whispers.

Y/n's pod hums. Medical data flows across its screen. Her vital signs re-start. Her pale skin flushes with colour. Hyunjin beats a retreat.

Y/N'S POD

Y/n's perfect lip's part. She takes a shallow breath – and then a deep one. Her chest rises and falls. Her thighs shift as she bends her knees. The sensors on her body drop off and withdraw into the pod. She opens her eyes. They're beautiful. Her pod's backrest flexes, scooping up her keeps as it becomes a seat. A video screen drops in front of her. "Good morning, Y/n!" A holographic stewardess appears.

BERLIN SUITE

The luxury cabin now tidy and immaculate. Hyunjin bursts in, wild-eyed. Drops his toolbox. Hides the marked- up manual in the closet. He splashes water on his face. Stares into the mirror.

HIBERNATION BAY – Y/N'S POD

Y/n puts on her Homestead Company bathrobe and slippers. Places her shipcard around her neck on its lanyard. The video stewardess begins talking, "You're ready to go to your cabin. Make yourself at home! Enjoy the rest of your flight, Y/n!" Woozy, Y/n sees the other passengers still asleep.

"Wait! Why are all these people still hibernating?" Y/n questioned. The screen pivots to face her. The Video Stewardess points.

"Y/n, your cabin is this way!"

DECK SEVEN - CORRIDOR

Hyunjin sticks his head out of his cabin, looks up and down the hall. Steps out warily.

HIBERNATION BAY – Y/N'S POD

Hyunjin approaches Y/n's pod, electrified. The pod is empty. The screen reads PASSENGER DISCHARGED.

DECK NINE - NUMBER NINE PROMENADE

Y/n finds her cabin. It's a first-class cabin, its door overlooking the Grand Concourse atrium.