*22*

GRAND CONCOURSE - THE GARDEN - MORNING

Hyunjin and Y/n wait beside the garden. They've been waiting for a while. Both look around for Chan. "You haven't seen him at all?" Hyunjin asks, Y/n shakes her head.

CHAN'S CABIN DOOR

A doorbell chimes. Hyunjin and Y/n wait in the hall, listening. Hyunjin rings again. "I don't think he's up," Y/n sighs.

CHAN'S CABIN

Chan lies feverish and semi-conscious in his bed. A thunk the door slides open. Hyunjin and Y/n rush in. "Chan! Are you all, right?" Hyunjin exclaims.

"No. No, I'm not," Chan says his voice laced with pain.

INFIRMARY

Chan lies in a medical scanner. Hyunjin and Y/n watch as the machine bathes Chan in light, sensors floating over his body. "Couldn't get up. Weak as a baby. What does it say is wrong with me?" Chan questions. The scanner's display screen lists not one diagnosis, but hundreds: disorders, diseases, dysfunctions.

Hyunjin trying to hide his horror says, "It's a few things,".

"Diagnosis complete," The machine says. Chan hauls himself out of the scanner. Pulls a bathrobe on and comes around to look at the screen. He sees it and blanches.

"Six hundred twelve disorders found," the machine said in its robotic tone, delivering the news like it was nothing.

"What's the summary?" Chan asks.

"Pan-systemic necrosis. Progressive organ failure. Cause unknown,".

Chan clenched his fist together his knuckles turning white, he was losing his temper with the machine, "I'll tell you the cause. My goofy hibernation pod is the cause," Chan raises his voice, making Hyunjin and Y/n stand back a little.

"What's the treatment?" Y/n asks the machine.

"No treatment known," The machine says as Chan pivots the monitor so that only he can see the screen.

"Prognosis," Chan whispers. A series of images flickers over the screen, casting shadows on his face. Chan swallows hard and looks away. "How long have I got?" Chan questions.

"Between two and three days," The machine responds. A long moment of silence fills the infirmary. Chan turns and exits. "These sedatives will alleviate suffering in the final hours," The machine says as pill bottles clatter into a metal bin. Y/n scoops them up. Hyunjin races after Chan.

Chan settles himself behind the wheel of Hyunjin's cart. "Chan!" Hyunjin yells running to catch up Chan.

"Sorry, Hyunjin," Chan says as he puts his foot down and the cart squeals away. Y/n stumbles into the hall, her hands full of pill bottles. Y/n and Hyunjin watch the cart recede.

COMMAND DECK - COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

Y/n sits at the security console, watching the monitors. Hyunjin enters. "He's not in his room," Hyunjin sighs. Y/n flips on the intercom, speaks into the mic. Her voice resonates through the ship.

"Where are you? Chan, please answer. We'll be at the Concourse Bar every hour. I'm really worried," Y/n pleads.

"Where is he? What's he doing?" Hyunjin questions scanning the different monitor trying to find Chan.

"What are you two doing?" Chan asks. Hyunjin and Y/n spin around to see Chan in the doorway behind them.

"Where have you been?" y/n questions standing up, feeling relieved that Chan is here.

"Making arrangements. You kids have dinner plans?" Chan asks.

Hyunjin and Y/n shake their heads.

"Xanadu at eight," Chan says, almost like and order turning around and exiting.

CHAN'S CABIN - EVENING

Chan makes a tour of the room, touching his photographs and mementos in farewell. He puts on his dress uniform: chest crowded with medals and decorations for the planets he's seen, the voyages he's made.

He takes a photograph from a dresser: Him and two other boys who look around his age. Tucks it in his breast pocket. In the mirror he studies his haggard face. Suddenly he shouts, a wordless cry of anger. Pounds on the dresser with his fists. Teeth clenched in pain and fury. Then he straightens. Stands at attention. Takes a deep breath. Pivots on his heel and leaves the room.

STARDOME - XANADU - NIGHT

Hyunjin and Y/n enter the Stardome to find Chan sitting shaky but proud at the head of a table. They sit. Chan pours wine with a trembling hand.

"You look magnificent," Y/n smiles to Chan.

Chan smiles at Y/n's compliment and turns to Hyunjin, "Ladies love the dress blues,". Chan faces both Y/n and Hyunjin, "Thanks for coming. Sorry to run out today, but I didn't have a lot of time, and there was a lot to do," Chan sips his wine. Hyunjin and Y/n watch with concern.

"How are you feeling?" Hyunjin asks.

"Fine, fine," Chan insists.

"Chan, just because some stupid machine says there's no cure-,"

"State-of-the-art machine, Y/n. Anyway, I can feel it happening," Chan sighs.

"But you just got here. It's barely been a week," Y/n says, both Chan and Hyunjin can see a glass-like sheet cover he eyes. Chan takes her hand.

"No point counting the days," Chan sighs.

XANADU - LATER

Their dinners are nearly done. Chan pours more wine. He's in the middle of a tale of adventure. "A pure oxygen environment is about as dangerous a place as you can be steel pipe will burn in pure O2. And there I am with a hammer, trying to close this valve and stop the oxygen flow, when one spark will kill us all. But the thing is, O2 makes you punchy. So, I can't stop laughing. And then the guys behind me start, soon everybody's going. Captain's giggling like a girl. The Navigator pissed his pants laughing," Chan smiles. Hyunjin and Y/n laugh. But pain contorts Chan's face. He grips the table with white knuckles. And nobody's laughing anymore. "This is happening fast. I got some things for you. Come with me," Chan says.

DECK FOUR - STARBOARD E.V.A. ROOM

On a table at the edge of the plaza, a small pile of objects waits. Chan stops beside them. Turns to Hyunjin and Y/n.

"I went through the ship's manuals an made notes wherever there was something special you should know. These should keep you straight. In a few days the Diagnostic Computer will show you what needs fixing," Chan takes his shipcard from around his neck and hands it to Hyunjin. "This'll get you anywhere you need to go. Questions?" Chan asks.

"Why are we standing by the airlock? Hyunjin questions.

"Oh, God! Chan, no!" Y/n yells.