*27*

EIGHTY-EIGHT YEARS LATER

Transformed by the wear and tear of a century's habitation. Paths worn into floors, furniture repaired or re-purposed. Vegetable gardens. Battered sweeper robots' water the plantings. Window-washers till the soil. The oak tree towers a hundred feet tall over the Concourse. Its branches brush the skylight far above. We move past walls decorated with murals and carvings. At the Concourse Bar, Felix is slicing vegetables. His timeworn uniform mended by hand. At the aft end of the Concourse, a high wall. Here a long list of dates is inscribed. The last date is the ship's landfall on Homestead II; the first, Hyunjin's awakening. In between: an accelerating tally of births, deaths, marriages, catastrophes, and achievements...a century of shipboard life. At the base of the wall, we find a table like an altar, where a collection of artifacts is displayed: The meteor pried from the Excelsior's heart. Chan's worn shipcard, his picture still visible. A beautiful hand-bound book. In the Blink of an Eye: Look At the Stars, by Y/n Y/l/n. Beneath these printed words, a handwritten dedication: For Hyunjin. In the centre of it all, in the place of honor: the photo strip of Hyunjin and Y/n from their first date.

They laugh.

They clown.

She kisses him.

Y/n looks into the camera's eye.

Hyunjin looks at Y/n.